Adding users to local admin group stopped working after update to MDT2013 8450 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have set up MDT 2013 so that the wizard page asks you to enter the domain and user name of up to three user accounts to add to the local admin group. After upgrading MDT to version 8450 the wizard does not show the "Local Administrators" selection any longer. I have checked that the setting SkipAdminAccounts in cs.ini is "NO" and the DeploymentType is NEWCOMPUTER.
    Does anyone have an idea what could be the cause of this?

Kind regards,
    Per
    Friday, April 6, 2018 12:09 PM

Answers

• I apologize.  I honestly did not know that is how that worked and now I know.

Here is a snippet of the criteria from the Wizard Control file (DeployWiz_Definintion_ENU.xml) to show the Admin Accounts pane:
    <Pane id="AdministratorAccounts" reference="DeployWiz_AdminAccounts.xml">
    <Condition><![CDATA[ UCase(Property("SkipAdminAccounts")) = "NO" and UCase(Property("DeploymentType"))<>"REPLACE" and Property("DeploymentType")<>"CUSTOM" and Property("JoinDomain") <> "" ]]></Condition>
    </Pane>

Mine was initially not showing up, but then I set my CS.ini to have JoinDomain set to <myDomain> and then I was able to see the Admins pane.  I am using 8450, so I can verify this still works.

LawsonT

• Marked as answer by PerHam Tuesday, April 10, 2018 3:23 PM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2018 3:31 AM

All replies

• When upgrading, you need to backup any changes made to MDT, as an upgrade will overwrite them. If you have added a custom page to your wizard or made changes to your existing pages, then you will need to readd the page reference to the main xml file or make changes to the correct xml file for the page that was changed.
    Saturday, April 7, 2018 5:53 PM
  • This is really not a customization since the scripts are ready and built in to MDT. The script is DeployWiz_AdminAccounts.xml. The only thing you need to do to activate it is to set SkipAdminAccounts=NO in the cs.ini file.

But, since the update to 8450, it's no longer working. 

Monday, April 9, 2018 10:58 AM
  • I apologize.  I honestly did not know that is how that worked and now I know.

Here is a snippet of the criteria from the Wizard Control file (DeployWiz_Definintion_ENU.xml) to show the Admin Accounts pane:
    <Pane id="AdministratorAccounts" reference="DeployWiz_AdminAccounts.xml">
    <Condition><![CDATA[ UCase(Property("SkipAdminAccounts")) = "NO" and UCase(Property("DeploymentType"))<>"REPLACE" and Property("DeploymentType")<>"CUSTOM" and Property("JoinDomain") <> "" ]]></Condition>
    </Pane>

Mine was initially not showing up, but then I set my CS.ini to have JoinDomain set to <myDomain> and then I was able to see the Admins pane.  I am using 8450, so I can verify this still works.

LawsonT

• Marked as answer by PerHam Tuesday, April 10, 2018 3:23 PM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2018 3:31 AM
  • No need to apologize. 

You have lead me in the right direction when you mentioned that you had to add JoinDomain to your CS.ini. I actually already had the JoinDomain set in my CS.ini but in a sub part of the file. After some tesing I realized that the sub part was never run.

After rearranging the CS.ini file it all works again and I can see the Admins pane again. I wonder why the CS.ini worked before updating to 8450...?

Anyhow, thanks for your help and time spent.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 3:23 PM