Cisco UC520 and "on the phone" information RRS feed

• Question

• Hi together,

we are using here a Lync Server with our Cisco UC520 as gateway and trunk to our Cisco phones.

Is it somehow possible to get presence-information from the cisco phone numbers? In other words I mean the information if someone is on a call with a special number.

It seems to be not clear what I am asking for. The scenario is following:

We have our Cisco UC520 system with our phones and anything. (cisco internal extension -2000 to -2999).

Now we have also our Lync environment, with the Cisco as Gateway and trunked. (lync internal extension -5000 to -5999).

So i would be wonderful if the lync-status changes to "On the Phone" not only if the User is speaking on his lync-extension but also if he speaks on his Cisco-extension. Is it somehow possible?

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 2:02 PM

Answers

• Passing this kind of presence information isn't possible.

The only way you can reflect the presence information of a PBX phone is using Remote Call Control (where you would control a Cisco phone using the Lync client), but you can't use Lync for voice with this telephony scenario.

Justin Morris | Consultant | Modality Systems
    Lync Blog - www.justin-morris.net
    Twitter: @justimorris
    If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

• Proposed as answer by Kent-Huang Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jamilian Friday, May 11, 2012 9:04 AM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 9:43 PM
  • Exactly right. If you deploy CUCI-Lync it will control all the media components e.g. audio, video, conferencing and Lync will just be IM and Presence.

I wrote a post about this that might be of some value for you - http://www.justin-morris.net/cuci-lync-and-why-you-should-think-twice/

If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

Friday, May 11, 2012 8:19 AM

All replies

• Passing this kind of presence information isn't possible.

The only way you can reflect the presence information of a PBX phone is using Remote Call Control (where you would control a Cisco phone using the Lync client), but you can't use Lync for voice with this telephony scenario.

• Proposed as answer by Kent-Huang Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:35 AM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 9:43 PM
  • Thank you,

the thing I am wondering about is, that CUCI-Lync (Cisco Unified Communication Integration for Lync) for example would somehow be able to realize this?

But there is the problem that the Cisco UC would do nearly everything (audio, video, conferencing, ...) except IM and presence?

Just to verify myself...

Friday, May 11, 2012 6:46 AM
  • Exactly right. If you deploy CUCI-Lync it will control all the media components e.g. audio, video, conferencing and Lync will just be IM and Presence.

I wrote a post about this that might be of some value for you - http://www.justin-morris.net/cuci-lync-and-why-you-should-think-twice/

Friday, May 11, 2012 8:19 AM
  • Okay, many thanks - thats all i wanted to know about this :)

Friday, May 11, 2012 9:06 AM