Why is Windows Update showing updates that have already been applied? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently running some xp sp3 machines that require some updates a few .net fw updates and a root certificate update.  When I click Install Updates they do install and then it tells me they completed.  seconds later the yellow shield comes up and requires the same updates i just installed.  I don't get an error either.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 5:27 PM

All replies

• Did you reboot your system after installing the updates?
    Also try resetting the Windows Update components: follow the instructions published in the Microsoft Knowledge Base article that you find at the following address

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/en-us

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 6:26 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Luigi Bruno.  I already tried restarting after applying the updates a few times.  I'm going to try resetting the Windows Update components now.  I'll let you know how that goes.  Again, thank you for your help.
    timothy bartlett
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 1:11 PM
  • Hi Luigi, I tried resetting the Windows Update components and then installing the updates, but unfortunately that was unsuccessful.  I am running WSUS on a server and when i check the clients in the Update Services window, it reports that the clients have downloaded the updates and that they have been approved for installation.  which also appears to be true from the client-end as well.  It seems as if the updates are being installed and then uninstalled.  Is there anything that would cause that to happen, shot of a virus?  (no virus has been detected on these computers, I am running ESET NOD 32 Business edition)

Thank You

timothy bartlett
    Wednesday, November 2, 2011 1:42 PM
  • if you're using WSUS click on the problematic PC, it will give you a computer or status report. 

It will show you the status whether the update has failed or not. have you check the report?

or you can check out this link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/update-keeps-repeating-after-successful/61f11ed5-3a21-41f3-8316-c9caa7bb8a6a

Every second counts..make use of it.
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 3:53 AM
  • I appreciate the help.  Unfortunately the link you sent me did not solve the issue.  I have checked the report and It says approve for install and it says it is downloaded and when i click on downloaded it says it was successfully installed on the xp machine.

timothy bartlett
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:09 PM
  • check out this links it provides issues regarding: You are repeatedly offered an update, even if you have already installed this update multiple times.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

hope it helps :)

Every second counts..make use of it.
    Friday, November 4, 2011 1:17 PM
  • Hey Timothy,

I had a a similar issue with a few workstations a while back. See if this helps:

(1) Stop the Windows Update service, delete the local SoftwareDistribution folder, and starting the Windows Update service.

(2)

@echo on
    net stop wuauserv
    REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v AccountDomainSid /f
    REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v PingID /f
    REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /v SusClientId /f
    net start wuauserv
    wuauclt /resetauthorization /detectnow
    Pause

Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:17 AM