Is a backup of the DPMDB database included in a BMR backup? RRS feed

• Question

• dpm 2010 ver: 3.0.7707

I'm backing up my primary dpm server to a secondary server.  It appears as if all the databases in the MSDPM2010 instance are backed up by a protection group that includes a BMR.  This is based on entries I see in the SQL errorlog.  If this is the case, should I forego backing up these databases separately?

Monday, February 27, 2012 7:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, in a default installation of DPM, the DPMDB is located in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\DPMDB folder.  Since boot partition C: is always included in a BMR backup, then the DB will be part of that backup.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by gamagl Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:49 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:26 PM
  • BMR backup is good for disaster recovery, but does not offer the granularity or fexability of choosing to restore the DPMDB to a specific point in time considering BMR backups are not usually done more than a few times a week.  I would protect the DPMDB seperatly so you can do backups more often and restore it more easily should the need arise.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, February 27, 2012 9:29 PM

All replies

• BMR backup is good for disaster recovery, but does not offer the granularity or fexability of choosing to restore the DPMDB to a specific point in time considering BMR backups are not usually done more than a few times a week.  I would protect the DPMDB seperatly so you can do backups more often and restore it more easily should the need arise.

Monday, February 27, 2012 9:29 PM
  • Ok thanks I'll do that.  But why is DPMDB included in the BMR backup.  Is that by default becuse the DPMDB is on the C drive?
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 12:06 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, in a default installation of DPM, the DPMDB is located in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\DPMDB folder.  Since boot partition C: is always included in a BMR backup, then the DB will be part of that backup.

• Marked as answer by gamagl Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:49 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:26 PM
  • thanks again
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 5:49 PM