none
Planning work through My Tasks on MSP Server 2010 PWA RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I hope this is a simple answer for one of you.

I've just got back from 3 weeks leave and my head is not co-oprerating getting back into PWA Server land.

I would like to enable editing of the "Planned" work column so i can get my engineering departments to plan their work load better and save me chasing them every week about leveling their load.

Currently its greyed out, i'm sure that its not difficult but a steer in the right direction would be great.

Thanks

Graeme

Thursday, September 6, 2012 2:23 AM

All replies

• Graeme,

Are you trying to edit project plan via PWA?

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 3:23 AM
  • No,

In the Tasks view on PWA where you update your "actual work" on tasks before it goes into the timesheet the planned column is also displayed, i want the users to update when they "plan" to do the remaining work and yes i would expect that to be reflected in the schedules when it is submitted. My main motive is to better manage staff work load.

I know i can go into each individual schedule and do it, however i don't have the time, i've got 80 engineers and 35+ projects running, i want to give the engineers the control of there capacity and availibility planning.

Cheers

Graeme

Thursday, September 6, 2012 3:36 AM
  • Graeme,

It is not possible to edit the Planned work from Tasks view. This needs to be done through the project schedule as Hrishi suggested.

However, they can adjust the start/finish dates if no actual work has already been posted on that task.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Thursday, September 6, 2012 1:22 PM
  • Hmm, thanks for the responses,

That is a shame that its not possible, how do you suggest that i help the engineers help me.

As i mentioned i have 80+ users working on 35+ different schedules, all reportring their time through Project, there are alway cases where work starts on a task then stops for whatever reason, something else starts then stops. I have reduced task "work" and "durations" to sensible levels but the problem still exists that before long the guys have a heap of work that is started but not fininshed. When i do my weekly statusing of schedules to ensure there is no open work in the past and no completed work in the future all these tasks soon add up and make the resources appear overloaded with all these tasks taht are waiting.

I thought it would be sensible to give the power to the user to plan his work.

Has anyone any ideas how to overcome this issue, or do i need to employ some more schedulers?

Cheers

Graeme

I'm based in Auckland, New Zealand if anyone is interested in a job.

Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:14 PM
  • Graeme,

The best way for this scenario (when work goes on hold) is to use the "Update Project" feature in project Pro, and reschedule any incomplete work to a specific date when the task will begin again.

However, it does become cumbersome if you alone have to do this across 35 schedules. I think delegation is the solution here.

You could also develop a report that shows IF there is any work that falls in the criteria you mention and then open only those projects to use the Update feature.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Friday, September 7, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Insert the Remaining Work field. have them enter their actual work in the 'timesheet' area and just before they send you their status have them update the remaining work field to equal their current estimate for how much time is left to finish the task.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Saturday, September 8, 2012 4:21 AM
  • Hi Brian,

That is what we do but it still means that the remaining work piles up after the task has been started.

Hi Prasanna,

I understand what your getting at and that is a technique i use when there is a stop work order on whole projects, but i don't know if that is possible (or practical) unless individual users can do that at task level.

Thanks for your suggestions

Cheers

Graeme

Monday, September 10, 2012 1:04 AM