Two folders/profiles for the same user on computer RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed that with Vista and Windows 7, an additional user profile folder will/may be created that ends in .V2 (username.V2), and this seems to occasionally cause an issue when a user logs in since it seems this folder operates independently of the normal user folder that does not have the extension. Upon doing some research, it seems that the .V2 folder is associated with roaming profiles in a Server 2008 domain. However, this folder has also been created in a domain that does not use roaming profiles and also on home computers that are not joined to any domain.

The problem that occurs on any of these computers is that when a user logs in, there appears to be times when the log in gets associated with the normal folder (the non-v2 folder that was the one originally created upon first log in), and other times when it associates with the .V2 folder, and thus the desktop and documents appear different. For example, there may be desktop icons and files that are located in one of the user folders, but not in the other, and there have been times where a certain file is located in both folders, but one may have a very outdated version of the file, thus having the appearance that changes to the information in that file have been lost.

Deleting the .V2 folder does not appear to be a solution as at some point it gets recreated - sometimes with the next log in, sometimes not until a couple of weeks later. My question is how to eliminate the creation of the V2 folder, force Windows to always log in using the "normal" folder, or at least make sure both folders are synced and contain the same, updated, folders and files.
    Friday, July 1, 2011 6:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

That is just the way Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 2008 works regardless roaming profiles or local profiles. The new profile will have a .v2 extension. The new profiles are not compatible with the previous Windows version.

For more information, you can refer to Managing Roaming User Data Deployment Guide

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766489(WS.10).aspx

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/b/a/3ba6d659-6e39-4cd7-b3a2-9c96482f5353/Managing%20Roaming%20User%20Data%20Deployment%20Guide.doc

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Monday, July 18, 2011 8:39 AM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 9:33 AM
  • Thanks for the info Niki - one of those typical Microsoft quirks, I guess. I'll look over the Deployment Guide to see if there's something I can do to reduce the problem. In the mean time, if anyone has any other ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. At the very least, if there's something I can do to get each profile folder to sync with each other upon logon and logoff, like a Roaming Profile does, that could at least be a viable solution.

Jim

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 1:05 PM