none
User state not migrating RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am using MDT 2012 Update 1 in my Hyper-V test lab.  I have installed the ADK with all options. I have a domain - widgets.com - MDT and ADK run on a member server running R2. I have a Win 7 domain member.  Ordinary user logs on to Win7 machine and creates a small profile (saves some docs to the desktop and in Documents, maps a drive) and then logs off.

Create and capture a Win 8 gold image with Office.

Deploy the gold image in a REFRESH scenario. Works great - except the user state does not get migrated. No errors - it is just not there when I log on as that domain user to the new Win8 machine. Nothing on the desktop, nothing in Documents folder.

I have tried putting in the selections from the Wizard screen and putting it in custom.ini - no love. I want it to do the hard link so I don't have to send it to a network share, but what am I missing??

Custom.ini snippit

• SkipUserData=YES
    • UserDataLocation=Auto

It is 64 bit to 64 bit. 

This used to work great on XP to Win7 in MDT 2010.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 1:44 AM

All replies

• Windows 7 sysrep works differently from good ol' XP. You must use the local Administrator account as your template account for sysrep. Also you must add "true" to the CopyProfile option in the unattend.xml. Best of luck.
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:41 AM
  • Not quite what I had in mind.  All our users are domain users with well established profiles on their current Win 7 machines. (Yes I know we could upgrade and keep everything - but we are doing a wipe and load of Win8).

I just need to preserve their current existing profile.  Just for fun I tried to save the profile of the domain user named Sales1 to the network.

• SkipUserData=YES
    • UserDataLocation=NETWORK
    • UDShare=\\r2member\profiles
    • UDDir=%OSDComputerName%
    • UDProfiles=Sales1

Nothing - not even the subfolder got created in the share.  Permissions are F/C for Everyone. 

I do have USMT5

I might have to use Windows Easy Transfer to capture profiles???  Ughhh!

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:05 PM