Exchange 2010 - I Searched a mailbox and deleted all content. Can I get the mailbox items back? RRS feed

• Question

• Using PowerShell I deleted all content from a mailbox using "Search-mailbox -Identity xxxxxx -DeleteContent".

Looking at the mailbox through Outlook, there is nothing in the Recoverable Items folder. The Outlook profile was in cache-mode but the user had opened Outlook and the local profile was updated.

Is there a way to recover from this search and destroy?

Anything I can do using the OST maybe?

Thanks

Jay

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:07 PM

Answers

1. That's great that you can obtain from archive
    2. Deleted Item Retention settings would determine how long data is maintained
    3. However even if you found the items in the recoverable items folder they lost ALL pathing information i.e. folders are not retained therefore you just have one big folder where information sits with no reference to its original location so your archive restoration may be a better resolution if it maintains that information

Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline Exchange Mailbox and Public Folder EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 --> 2013 --> 2016 with Lucid8's DigiScope http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp

• Edited by Troy Werelius Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:46 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, September 12, 2016 3:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Allen_WangJF Saturday, September 17, 2016 1:24 PM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:45 PM

All replies

• Hi

If you have backups you can restore from backup.

Microsoft PFE

• Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Thursday, September 8, 2016 10:12 AM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:40 PM
  • So you have a few options

1. As Edward said you can restore the EDB however you would want to do that via the RDB method so you could extract the data from the backup using the MS method or a 3rd party product like Lucid8's DigiScope

2. Since the user already opened outlook and it connected to the Exchange server the OST is synced no way to recover from that UNLESS you make daily backups of the OST.  If you do have a way to roll back the OST then that would be a good way to go, just DONT connect to the exchange server after restoring

Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline Exchange Mailbox and Public Folder EDB's and Live Exchange Servers or Import/Migrate direct from Offline EDB to Any Production Exchange Server, even cross version i.e. 2003 --> 2007 --> 2010 --> 2013 --> 2016 with Lucid8's DigiScope http://www.lucid8.com/product/digiscope.asp

• Edited by Troy Werelius Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:41 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Thursday, September 8, 2016 10:12 AM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:41 PM
  • Don't judge but we gave up backup in favor of offsite archive which I am in the process of restoring from.

I was hoping that delete content was similar to delete mailbox in exchange. That you had 30 days to realize that you made a mistake.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:42 PM
    1. That's great that you can obtain from archive
    2. Deleted Item Retention settings would determine how long data is maintained
    3. However even if you found the items in the recoverable items folder they lost ALL pathing information i.e. folders are not retained therefore you just have one big folder where information sits with no reference to its original location so your archive restoration may be a better resolution if it maintains that information

• Edited by Troy Werelius Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:46 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Monday, September 12, 2016 3:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Allen_WangJF Saturday, September 17, 2016 1:24 PM
    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:45 PM