none
Move to new hardware, but keep the tape database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

At present it is on Windows 2008 r2, with Data Protection Manager 2012 sp1 RU 7. Local SQL database

I want to build a new server with new storage on Data Protection Manager 2012 r2 and Windows 2012 r2. I need to be able to restore from my old tapes. I don't mind if I have to resync the data. Can I do this?

Also, I know I might have to use the same name on the server if I am moving the database. Can I build Data Protection Manager with one name so I can get it built, patched etc and then rename it?

Best wishes

Michael

Saturday, August 30, 2014 9:11 AM

All replies

• Hi

Is this what you want to do:

http://www.buchatech.com/tag/export-protection-groups-export-dpm-settings/

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, August 30, 2014 12:45 PM
  • Hi,

It's best if you upgrade this server to DPM 2012 R2, then move the DPMDB to the new Windows 2012 R2 server that had DPM 2012 R2 installed - yes, both machines need to be the same name, so follow these steps.

1) Be sure you have the latest DPM 2012 Sp1 updates installed. 

Description of Update Rollup 7 for System Center 2012 Service Pack 1
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2966012/en-us

Hotfix for System Center 2012 SP1 Data Protection Manager
    http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=2966012

2) Update the protected server agents - (should 4.1.3453) Backup the DPM database using DPMbackup.

dpmbackup -db -instancename DPM2012 -dpmdbname DPMDB -targetlocation c:\temp

3) Rename the file to DPMDB-SP1.BAK then Copy the file to a network share for safe keeping.

4) Upgrade to DPM 2012 R2

5) Backup the DPM 2012 R2 database - check the database name, it may have a Guid appended after the upgrade.

dpmbackup -db -instancename DPM2012 -dpmdbname DPMDB -targetlocation c:\temp

6) Rename the file to dpmdb-R2.bak and copy it to a network share for safe keeping.

7) Shutdown or remove the server from the network.

8) On the new machine use the same machine name so DPM can be re-installed and use same DB.

9) Install SQL Server - then DPM 2012 R2

(You could install DPM 2012 Sp1, then uninstall again to get SQL Server installed)

10) Copy the saved DPM 2012 R2 DPMDB-R2.BAK backup to a local drive IE: C:\temp

11)  Restore the saved DPM 2012 R2 database using DPMSYNC -RestoreDB

dpmsync -restoredb -dbloc c:\temp\dpmdb-R2.bak -instancename Instancename -dpmdbname dpmdb

12) Run DPMSYNC -Sync

13) Add new storage in the DPM Storage pool - ignore missing disks - then run DPMSYNC -REALLOCATEREPLICA to remake the volumes.

14) Get the agents communicating and update the agents.

15) Install DPM 2012 R2 UR3 KB2966014 - then update the agents.

16) Run CC to get the disk based datasources consistent - attach library and ensure all PG's are configured to use the library.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, August 30, 2014 6:42 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks as ever. Just to clarify, are you saying Data Protection Manager 2012 r2 doesn't install SQL server? Which SQL server is the best to install? Can I go straight to SQL 2014?

Best wishes

Michael

• Edited by bazcurtis178 Monday, September 1, 2014 10:25 AM Missed comment off
    Monday, September 1, 2014 10:22 AM
  • Hi,

DPM 2012 R2 requires a pre-installed SQL instance.  DPM 2012 R2 does not support SQL 2014 for it's database.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 9:03 PM
  • Hi Mike,

We have done one of the servers. We will be doing the primary this week. We had some issues getting the databases restored. We had to make a path for the SQL restore. I think this may well have been because this was a Data Protection Manager 2010 install originally and the SQL install path was different.

I have a question about dpmsync -reallocatereplica. As I have new storage that will have no replica data do I have to run this command? I would actually like Data Protection Manager make new replicas so it only used the space it needs now rather than use the disk space it used to have allocated. Is that possible, or do I have to run that command?

Best wishes

Michael

Sunday, September 14, 2014 1:09 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, when restoring DPMDB after a fresh install of a newer version of DPM, you may need to make the path ahead of time, or restore using SQL management studio and change the path to restore to.  In all cases you need to run dpmsync -sync to remake the schedules etc.

Yes, You need to run dpmsync -reallocatereplica to remake the volumes if you did not move the storage pool disks to the new system.  Bad news, DPM will remake the volumes the same size as original, good news is before running the mandatory CC, you can manually shrink the volumes using disk management, or diskpart.exe utility if you feel they were over allocated to help reclaim space in the storage pool.  I would not overdue the shrink as you want to try to avoid DPM auto growing them again. 

Sunday, September 14, 2014 1:19 PM