Switch Embedded Teaming and live migration RRS feed

• Question

• Reading about the new Switch Embedded Teaming in the latest Windows Server Technical Preview (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt403349.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396).  I’m confused by the documentation.  It starts off with a picture showing a system with SET configured.  Note that it shows Live Migration configured on the SET.  But then later on the same page, it says Live Migration is not supported.  Which is it?

. : | : . : | : . tim

Thursday, August 20, 2015 4:09 PM

Answers

• Tim - the answer is both and neither and more confusing yet. Let me explain:

a) SET is only supported when the SDN-extension is installed in the Hyper-V switch.

b) SET works with Live Migration, as does SMB (as shown in the figure).

c) Live Migration is not supported when the SDN-Extension is installed for TP3 only. Expect this to change in future previews.

Summary:  As a result of A and C, Live Migration is not supported with SET in TP3. 

Don Stanwyck, Sr. PM, Windows Server Networking, Microsoft

Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:00 PM

All replies

• Tim - the answer is both and neither and more confusing yet. Let me explain:

a) SET is only supported when the SDN-extension is installed in the Hyper-V switch.

b) SET works with Live Migration, as does SMB (as shown in the figure).

c) Live Migration is not supported when the SDN-Extension is installed for TP3 only. Expect this to change in future previews.

Summary:  As a result of A and C, Live Migration is not supported with SET in TP3. 

Thursday, August 20, 2015 5:00 PM
  • Update:

a) SET is supported at all times in WS2016 (except when LBFO teaming is active);

b) SET works with live migration, either directly or over SMB.

Keep in mind that the issue mentioned for TP3 was that the switch extension didn't support live migration.  SET has always supported live migration but was restricted by policy (not technical reasons) to co-existence with the SDN-extension at TP3.  That restriction has been removed.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 8:30 PM