none
Many CSV backup fails - System cannot find the file specified RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

Most nights when performing DPM 2012 CSV Hyper-V backup, a lot of the backups failes with this error:

Changes for Microsoft Hyper-V \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\iis-d087 on SCVMM iis-d087 Resources.mvs-c015.hnext.lan cannot be applied to c:\clusterstorage\volume5\iis-d087\Virtual Machines\0AD0FD4E-9604-4214-8592-D3D6B997F923\0AD0FD4E-9604-4214-8592-D3D6B997F923.bin. (ID 112 Details: The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002))

When I run er consistency check later on, everything runs smoothly.
    Do anyone have any clue to why this is happening?

Thanks

Regards,
    Anders Bendtsen
    Hostnordic
    Friday, June 22, 2012 1:07 PM

All replies

• I,ve seen this errors too in a environment at one of our customers.
    Here in the environment this also occurs, even if the is stored on a normal LUN, not on a CSV.
    When i check for the .bin file, it exists.

Regards,
    Alex Bunk

Monday, July 30, 2012 10:01 AM
  • Similar problem here, but with sql server databases. I don't have any idea why this is happening but I have the feeling that it's something to do with overlapping backups. as far as I can imagine, the 0x80070002 error comes once dpm has already open the file and has a handle but it becomes invalid for an unknown reason. but that's just a theory.

Monday, September 17, 2012 10:18 AM
  • The errors (ID 112 Details: The system cannot find the path specified (0x80070003)) and (ID 112 Details: The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002)) when backing up a VM are usually a result of the CSV going offline during backups.  Are there any Cluster event errors that are logged when the recovery point job fails?  There may also be VSS errors in the application log of the Cluster nodes that might give clues as to why the backups are failing.  Please let us know if you see any Cluster or VSS errors so we can determine that best way to help you move forward with troubleshooting this problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Regards, Michael V [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Roberto MD Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:07 AM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 4:35 PM
  • Thanks for your hints, Michael. in our case the problem is with SharePoint protection (which eventually is SQL Server protection). The fact is that we are facing these problems after getting a transaction log disk full. It makes sense regarding your remarks, that this could be related to the problem, although the message text is a bit misleading. We'll keep an eye to check if this pattern (disk full -> error id 112) repeats.

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:07 AM