Outlook crashes anytime a specific distribution list is add to To: Line RRS feed

• Question

• Title says it all. There is a specific distribution list that crashes my outlook any time I try to add it to the recipients list on an email. Additionally, if I open up a meeting invite that was sent to that distribution list, outlook crashes. 

Not sure where to start with this issue. It seems like not many people have this problem when I searched around the web. Any assistance would be very helpful. 

Thanks.

Edit: Using Outlook 2010 - not sure how to check sp version. 

Xobni is currently installed, but this issue occurs with it installed, not installed, and installed but deactivated. 

Email distro causing problems is a distro in the GAL that is actually a different domain than my current domain. 

No one else on my team has this problem. 

Running Win 7 Enterprise SP1. 

• Edited by MinkWA Thursday, February 2, 2012 8:55 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 8:51 PM

Answers

• Hi MinkWA,

When you say that nobody else has this issue.... "Other users" are on the same domain as you and are using the same distribution group as you?

If you create a new outlook profile and attempt to utilise the distribution group does the issue occur?

Does the issue occur if you open your mailbox within outlook on a different pc?

Kind Regards

• Proposed as answer by AllBarOne Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:42 AM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 9:29 PM
  • Alright, problem solved, at least temporarily. 

Earlier I thought I was creating a new profile when I removed and readded my exchange account. I eventually figured out I was incorrect in that. 

I created a new profile, and so far everything is working swimmingly. I think the issue I was having was related to a corrupted offline address book. I decided to recreate the profile, and tweaked my address book download settings. Hopefully this will stay stable. 

Thanks again for everyone's comments. 

• Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:41 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:56 AM

All replies

• Hi MinkWA,

When you say that nobody else has this issue.... "Other users" are on the same domain as you and are using the same distribution group as you?

If you create a new outlook profile and attempt to utilise the distribution group does the issue occur?

Does the issue occur if you open your mailbox within outlook on a different pc?

Kind Regards

• Proposed as answer by AllBarOne Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:42 AM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 9:29 PM
  • Yes, the other users are on the same domain and using the same distribution. 

I will work on creating a new profile and attempting to recreate the issue on another computer as well. 

Thanks for your response. 

Thursday, February 2, 2012 11:30 PM
  • Hi,

Any updates?

Thanks

Sophia Xu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 6, 2012 1:52 AM
  • Well, I found that when I am on the client corporate network (I am a vendor), I am receiving the issue still. I have not tried to re-build a new profile in Outlook yet. 

When I am VPN'd into my company's own network, I am able to send to the distribution list without a problem (at least the once I tried it in that fashion). 

My technical support team had me re-build an autocomplete .dat file, and that did not resolve the issue. 

I tried to open Outlook in Safe Mode, and it still froze up on me. 

I have yet to try a different PC, but the only other PC I can try this with will be on my company's VPN. 

Any other ideas?

Thursday, February 9, 2012 3:56 AM
  • Ok, just sent another test email, and it locked up Outlook again with the (Not Responding) indicator. I let it sit in the background and worked on other things, and eventually it sent out. I am trying again and testing the amount of time Outlook stays locked up in the Not Responding state. 

Thursday, February 9, 2012 4:23 AM
  • How many members in the distribution list ?
    Any Mailtips configured ?

Configure Outlook logging
    as well as try sending and checking on OWA.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300479

Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:12 AM
  • How many members in the distribution list ?
    Any Mailtips configured ?

Configure Outlook logging
    as well as try sending and checking on OWA.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300479

Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:12 AM
  • I am able to send via Webmail. 

I am currently trying to use outlook without cached exchange mode on, and after I unchecked the cached mode box and re-opened outlook, I am getting exchange server not reachable errors. 

What will logging do for me? Will it catch an exception error?

Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:15 AM
  • as you are able to send with webmail and no mailtips configured , there does not seem server side issues.

For outlook specific errors logging will help to pinpoint the issue. What exception error you are receiving ? can you search on net.

it appears to be an outlook aware issue ? what is your outlook version ?

You can always log on to the machine that does not have the problem and create an outlook profile over there to check the issue.

Log on to the working PC without issue to the distribution list , create a profile and check the distribution list . It certainly appears to be outlook... PC issue rather then server .

Disable all outlook add-ons on outlook and check for AV etc .

logging will certainly help , also check for any events.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 6:12 AM
  • Hi MinkWA,

As discussed earlier please create a new outlook profile (the current profile will remain to exist and will not be affected). Then in the new outlook profile please try to duplicate the issue and let us know how you do?

Kind Regards

Thursday, February 9, 2012 6:30 PM
  • Havent had time to do this yet. Will work on it this week. Thanks again for all the suggestions. 
    Monday, February 13, 2012 10:42 PM
  • Well, I set up Outlook on a different machine, only VPN'd into my corporate network from my house. 

Today I am replying to an email, and Outlook is freezing. On a completely different machine, and the previously offending email distro is not involved. 

What is going on here? I am about to pull my hair out. My job is highly dependent on email. 

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:31 AM
  • When connected to the VPN, it definitely works better than when I am simply connected through a non-tunneling internet connection. 
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:36 AM
  • Hi MinkWA,

Sorry but I am slightly confused, please confirm does this freezing issue only occur when utilising the said distribution group? Or does your outlook freeze randomly now?

Am I correct in reading that you DONT have any issue using the distribution group in OWA?

Regards

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:47 AM
  • That was how the issue originated - a specific DL was causing outlook to freeze. 

Here is what the situation with the DL is:

I work for company abc - my email is provided by them. 

I am sending emails to distribution lists for company 123 - these distribution lists are inthe GAL of the company abc exchange servers. 

I don't often send email to these distribution lists - the one that spurred this question on this board was the main one I utilized, and now I just break it out into separate individuals (8 I think). 

Last night I was trying to send an email to a different group, from a different computer, using Outlook when it froze up. This does not happen at all when using OWA, although it's not easy to test often since I would rather not blast large distribution lists with test emails. 

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Thanks for the added info...

Was this different group also on an alternative domain? Is the problem actually that you are unable to send to "any" users or groups in the remote domain?

Regards

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:09 PM
  • The group was also on a different domain. I normally don't have any problems sending to users on the company 123 domain. 

I do like to store my own outlook contacts for many people I email, since it allows me to keep the naming convention clean. 

I ran a scanpst on my .ost file this morning. The scanpst said it found errors and repaired them. 

More issues this morning - I am trying to open up a calendar invite with the purpose of sending a cancellation. Outlook freezes. No distribution lists on this invite, and the invite only has people who are on the same domain as me. Also, I created the original invite. 

I logged into OWA and was able to send the cancellation. 

Then I re-opened Outlook and went to view my Add-Ins and make sure that nothing was checked that I didn't use. This froze Outlook. At this point, I am going to uninstall/reinstall Office on this PC. This still doesn't solve the problems on my laptop though. 

Would being moved to a new exchange server fix any of this?

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Given that everything works ok via OWA it suggests the mailbox itself is fine and therefore moving server will likely not help matters. Have you ran scanpst on the ost file on the laptop? Might be worth a try if not.

Regards

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:57 PM
  • I haven't run the scanpst on the laptop. I am working on the laptop now, and I have removed my current mail profile, and I am going to re-add it. 
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:51 PM
  • Re-added Outlook profile. Sent email to distribution that was giving me problems. Appears to be working. Will need to try it from different network locations. 
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:16 PM
  • Great stuff, well done.

Please let us know how you do?

Regards

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:19 PM
  • Well, 

I was creating a new meeting invite, and Outlook went into Not Responding mode again. Froze for 7-8 minutes before I cancelled out and re-started it. I didn't add anyone to the meeting invite yet. 

During the restart, I got an error message related to the Cisco Webex plugin. First time I have seen that. 

I had uninstalled Xobni prior to re-adding my profile. I am going to call my techsupport and see what I can figure out with them. I have no idea what could be causing this.

Thanks again for all your help. Once I solve this issue, I will definitely post the resolution here. 

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:46 PM
  • Ok - I am able to recreate this multiple times in a row. It was not the creation of the new meeting invite - it was opening an old invite on my calendar that froze it. 
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:52 PM
  • Alright, problem solved, at least temporarily. 

Earlier I thought I was creating a new profile when I removed and readded my exchange account. I eventually figured out I was incorrect in that. 

I created a new profile, and so far everything is working swimmingly. I think the issue I was having was related to a corrupted offline address book. I decided to recreate the profile, and tweaked my address book download settings. Hopefully this will stay stable. 

Thanks again for everyone's comments. 

• Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:41 AM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:56 AM