none
Desktop/Laptop Backup 2010 RTM Broken RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to setup the desktop/laptop backups but I am having issues 

getting the inclusions and exclusions working properly. 

Scenario 1. Include “User Profiles” exclude “Appdata” 

The backup selects all the user profiles but does not exclude the appdata 

folders. 

Since that does not work I tried this.

Scenario 2. Include “Desktop, Downloads, Favorites, Links, My Documents, My 

Music, My Pictures and My Video” no exclusions.

The backup gets everything but the “Downloads and Links” folders from every 

profile. The links folder is not that important but I would like to get the 

downloads to backup.

My goal is to get scenario 1 to work since I have users that does not 

understand the concept of where to save documents and they tend to create 

folders and save documents in the root of the user profile and not in their 

My Documents folder.

Anyone else have this issue?

Brian

Edit #1 It seems that the path that is setup by dpm for the "Appdata" is wrong it is excluding c:\users\user profile\appdata\roaming\* and not c:\users\user profile\appdata\*
    Edit #2 using this varible " %userprofile%\AppData" sets this path c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\appdata\local\* is this right?
    Edit #3 since varibles dont work the only work around is to exclude the full appdata path for every user. Do microsoft engineers read these forums? it would be nice if someone from Microsoft would respond to my issue since i did buy the product.
    • Edited by Brian James Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:32 PM
    • Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Monday, July 19, 2010 6:29 AM Moving to DPM laptop Protection Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:25 PM

Answers

• using %userprofile%\AppData is just the same as selecting appdata because they still resolve to appdata/roaming instead of the top level appdata\ which would include local and locallow. any idea when this will be resolved? it sucks adding each users appdata folder as an exclusion.

Keys i found that i guess are the issue.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{3EB685DB-65F9-4CF6-A03A-E3EF65729F3D}]
    "Name"="AppData"
    "Category"=dword:00000004
    "RelativePath"="AppData\\Roaming"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\FolderDescriptions\{3EB685DB-65F9-4CF6-A03A-E3EF65729F3D}]
    "Name"="AppData"

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 11:43 PM

All replies

• bump
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:10 PM
  • bump
    Monday, June 21, 2010 3:05 AM
  • hi  Brain

thanks for your feedback. The well known folder %appdata% indeed maps to a folder like C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming, you can just do %appdata% from start->run to see this result. In the client machine, the DPM agent tries to resolve the DPM provided well known folders exactly this way & hence you see this.

What about using %userprofile%\AppData did it not help you?

best regards,

vrmurthy[MSFT]

Thanks VRMURHTY [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, July 9, 2010 12:57 PM
  • using %userprofile%\AppData is just the same as selecting appdata because they still resolve to appdata/roaming instead of the top level appdata\ which would include local and locallow. any idea when this will be resolved? it sucks adding each users appdata folder as an exclusion.

Keys i found that i guess are the issue.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderDescriptions\{3EB685DB-65F9-4CF6-A03A-E3EF65729F3D}]
    "Name"="AppData"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\FolderDescriptions\{3EB685DB-65F9-4CF6-A03A-E3EF65729F3D}]
    "Name"="AppData"

Tuesday, September 7, 2010 11:43 PM
  • Hi,

I'm currently working on laptop protection;
    When i include "User Profile" but exclude "User Profile\Appdata" it works for me. Did you try it that way?

Weird issue you are having there.

Jérémy.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 9:32 AM
  • The issue i am having is when i use the built in exclusion option for appdata it actually excludes "User Profile\Appdata\Roaming" and not the top level folder "User Profile\Appdata\”. My work around is to Include "User Profiles" but to exclude each users c:\users\username\appdata folder individually which is a pain since I am protecting 75+ computers. I assume that Microsoft added the appdata inclusion/exclusion since there is a ton of stuff in the appdata folder that just does not need to be backed up which I agree with and that’s why I exclude it. What I don’t think they thought of when adding the appdata tick is that Windows see’s the name “appdata” as being associated with the appdata\roaming path which is pointless the majority of stuff is under appdata\local and one would assume by selecting the appdata tick that it would be excluding/including the appdata folder and not a folder below it.

My questions to you are:

Are you excluding the appdata folder using the built in appdata option or are you excluding each users appdata folder separately?

If you are using the built in appdata exclusion have you checked the client to actually see what folder in appdata its actually excluding? If not can you?

I have had communication with Microsoft outside of this forum and they “kinda” reinforced my judgment that it is a design flaw by telling me how Windows resolves the name “appdata”. I have tried to contact the dpm team on many occasions with no response. I’d hate to say it but if this was an issue with exchange that team would be on top of getting my issue answered. There are a ton of bugs I have found in DPM 2010 and I really hope for the DPM teams sake that they can’t answer emails because they are working hard to resolve them. If not they all should be fired including the front man Jason Buffington.

Brian.

Thursday, October 7, 2010 10:52 PM
  • If you want to see how the system resolves the AppData value then check out the following registry value :

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1668476166-306390829-2796333932-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Replace the SID by the one from a user.

Then excluding the entire AppData can be done by excluding "User Profile\Appdata" and i assure you it works :)

Friday, October 8, 2010 10:48 AM
  • Brian,

it seems various responses are heading the same way but on parallel paths that won't meet. Allow me to summarize if correct;

- the issue root cause is identified
    - the impact is undoable effort to get the desired behavior (but possible)
    - will this be improved and if so, when?

For the interim pending the above and assuming it can be done;
    would a script that takes away the manual effort take away the agony to some extend?
    I'm thinking along the lines of it runs by your 75 client protections and funnel in the includes/excludes that deliver the desired result as you confirmed yourself.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 11:07 AM
  • Brian,

it seems various responses are heading the same way but on parallel paths that won't meet. Allow me to summarize if correct;

- the issue root cause is identified
    - the impact is undoable effort to get the desired behavior (but possible)
    - will this be improved and if so, when?

For the interim pending the above and assuming it can be done;
    would a script that takes away the manual effort take away the agony to some extend?
    I'm thinking along the lines of it runs by your 75 client protections and funnel in the includes/excludes that deliver the desired result as you confirmed yourself.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

A script to import the includes/excludes would be helpfull. i take it there is a table on the database that holds this info could you point me to it?
    Brian.
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 11:32 PM
  • Bump.
    Monday, February 21, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Is there a way to add includes/excludes manualy into the database or wherever they are stored? Adding them through the interface is time consuming when you have a lot to do.

Brian.

Monday, August 8, 2011 2:24 PM
  • I tried to use the DPM built in variable "userprofile" which translates to system_drive\users\username. Thus modifying that to "userprofile\appdata\local" (without the %) worked like a charm.

Also %appdata% pointing to appdata\roaming is not a DPM problem. It is a Windows variable and DPM does not change it. Type %appdata% from Start -> run and it will go to appdata\roaming. The only shortcoming (perhaps) of DPM is that it does not offer %localappdata%.

The bottom line is:

system_drive\users\<username>\appdata\local = %localappdata% = %userprofile%\appdata\local = "userprofile\appdata\local" (using the built in option "userprofile") for DPM

Regards, Rajeev Narshana [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:13 PM
  • I tried to use the DPM built in variable "userprofile" which translates to system_drive\users\username. Thus modifying that to "userprofile\appdata\local" (without the %) worked like a charm.

Also %appdata% pointing to appdata\roaming is not a DPM problem. It is a Windows variable and DPM does not change it. Type %appdata% from Start -> run and it will go to appdata\roaming. The only shortcoming (perhaps) of DPM is that it does not offer %localappdata%.

The bottom line is:

system_drive\users\<username>\appdata\local = %localappdata% = %userprofile%\appdata\local = "userprofile\appdata\local" (using the built in option "userprofile") for DPM

Regards, Rajeev Narshana [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

BTW this does not work. For it to work it needs to be imputed like this "User Profiles\appdata".

Result:
      Folders excluded:
      c:\users\username\appdata\*

Brian

• Edited by Brian James Friday, March 16, 2012 12:20 AM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 12:19 AM
  • Hi,

I'm currently working on laptop protection;
    When i include "User Profile" but exclude "User Profile\Appdata" it works for me. Did you try it that way?

Weird issue you are having there.

Jérémy.

That's what i said October 6 :)
    Sunday, March 18, 2012 6:22 PM