none
Backing up SQL DB on TMG firewall RRS feed

• Question

• I have DPM configured to backup up a server running TMG 2010.  For the most part, everything is working fine.

The one issue I'm seeing is with the backup of the SQL Server tables on the firewall.  All of the various ...\MSFW\ISALOG_date_WEB_000 and ...\MSFW\ISALOG_date_FWS_000 tables are part of the protection group.  However, as time moves on, new tables (of the same name, with a different date) appear and "old" tables have a protection status of "Replica is inconsistent" or "Recovery point creation failed".

I could very will believe TMG is "getting rid" of old tables no longer needed.  However it seems like DPM does not know they have "gone away".

Is there any way to automatically remove the "old" tables from the protection set for the TMG server?

Thanks in advance.

- Mark

Monday, March 5, 2012 12:21 AM

Answers

• As soon as you said how to do it, I remembered.  I haven't had to do it often enough to remember.

After deselecting the protection of the "ISALOG" members, clearing out the inactive members, and then stopping the protection on the remaining "ISALOG" members in the protection set all the errors are gone.

Now to the other problems...

Thanks for the help.

- Mark

Monday, March 5, 2012 11:13 PM

All replies

• I have DPM configured to backup up a server running TMG 2010.  For the most part, everything is working fine.

The one issue I'm seeing is with the backup of the SQL Server tables on the firewall.  All of the various ...\MSFW\ISALOG_date_WEB_000 and ...\MSFW\ISALOG_date_FWS_000 tables are part of the protection group.  However, as time moves on, new tables (of the same name, with a different date) appear and "old" tables have a protection status of "Replica is inconsistent" or "Recovery point creation failed".

I could very will believe TMG is "getting rid" of old tables no longer needed.  However it seems like DPM does not know they have "gone away".

Is there any way to automatically remove the "old" tables from the protection set for the TMG server?

Thanks in advance.

- Mark

Hi Mark,

No. There is not a better way to handle this with DPM. You can recover TMG without these DB's. See these two threads for more information on this scenario:

• http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/cdcde68e-1b78-4567-9152-61636186e01c/
    • http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/3ebdc458-f15e-48e7-97d7-444f5c1ae363/

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Monday, March 5, 2012 7:49 AM
  • Thank you for the information and pointers.  I just checked them out, and this does raise the question: how do I remove individual components of an existing protection set; such as one of these (no longer needed) databases?

While it may he as simple as modifyiny the protection set and unchecking the entries, I have another issue trying to do a (client) backup of a Windows 7 Ultimate workstation.  A new protection set was created only selecting 2 of the 3 hard drives for backup.  However, the protection tab show the third drive present with a Protection Status failure.  It does seem odd the drive would show a failure when it has not been selected for the protection set.  But that, I expect, is for a new topic. :-)

- Mark

Monday, March 5, 2012 2:31 PM
  • Thank you for the information and pointers.  I just checked them out, and this does raise the question: how do I remove individual components of an existing protection set; such as one of these (no longer needed) databases?

While it may he as simple as modifyiny the protection set and unchecking the entries, I have another issue trying to do a (client) backup of a Windows 7 Ultimate workstation.  A new protection set was created only selecting 2 of the 3 hard drives for backup.  However, the protection tab show the third drive present with a Protection Status failure.  It does seem odd the drive would show a failure when it has not been selected for the protection set.  But that, I expect, is for a new topic. :-)

- Mark

Hi Mark,

To remove components you simply modify the protection group and un-check the items you no longer want to protect. The opposite is true when wanting to add items to a protection group. So you can modify the protection of your Win 7 client and add items. If that does not answer your question about the Win 7 client I recommend starting a new thread on that issue.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Monday, March 5, 2012 4:30 PM
  • I did try unchecking the selections, which also changed the SQL Server setting from "auto".  This seemed to work OK, although I did need to go and "Remove inactive protection" on the (now) unchecked SQL entries.

However, there are still entries for the older SQL entries previously removed.  (There was no entry in the protection group for them.)  These have a "Replica is inconsistent" status.  Is there any way these can/will be removed?  Is it simply a matter of waiting until the next sync point?

I'll start a new post on the Windows 7 "anomoly".

Thank you for your time and suggestions.

- Mark

Monday, March 5, 2012 4:50 PM
  • I did try unchecking the selections, which also changed the SQL Server setting from "auto".  This seemed to work OK, although I did need to go and "Remove inactive protection" on the (now) unchecked SQL entries.

However, there are still entries for the older SQL entries previously removed.  (There was no entry in the protection group for them.)  These have a "Replica is inconsistent" status.  Is there any way these can/will be removed?  Is it simply a matter of waiting until the next sync point?

I'll start a new post on the Windows 7 "anomoly".

Thank you for your time and suggestions.

- Mark

Hi Mark,

You right click on the protected DB's under Protection and stop protection. When stopping protection delete the replica from the disk. This will remove them for good.

Monday, March 5, 2012 6:02 PM
  • As soon as you said how to do it, I remembered.  I haven't had to do it often enough to remember.

After deselecting the protection of the "ISALOG" members, clearing out the inactive members, and then stopping the protection on the remaining "ISALOG" members in the protection set all the errors are gone.

Now to the other problems...

Thanks for the help.

- Mark

Monday, March 5, 2012 11:13 PM