VHD DS2 storage locked HELP RRS feed

• Question

• Today my server became unresponsive, and I ended up just trying to restart it. It wouldn't restart, so I shut it down. Then every time I tried to start it up it came up with a network provisioning error. I looked up the problem and MSFT stated to remove servers from the existing network, and create new servers in new network on the existing images. I deleted my server, and it took about 2 hours to finally finish deleting. Now the VHD shows the following:

IAG-IAG-os-1432848912716.vhd
    URL

TYPE
    PageBlob
    CONTENT MD5

LAST MODIFIED
    6/16/2015 11:25 AM
    LEASE STATUS
    LEASE STATE
    Leased

I have managed to make a copy of the vhd and gotten the important data from it, but now I'm trying to restore the server and running into another pain.  I can't use the old portal to create a disk from the VHD because it doesn't support the DS storage, and I don't see any functionality in the preview portal to create the disk from a VHD for DS accounts.

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 12:44 AM

Answers

• Hi David,

Are you trying to delete the blob and then you saw the above error message ?

When you delete a Virtual Machine / server on the Management Portal, the "Disk" resource used to mount the Virtual Machines VHD is kept.

The "Disk" resource is responsible for mounting the blob for the VHD file, so it can be attached to virtual machines as an OS Disk or Data Disk. It will continue to hold a lease on the blob for as long as it exists.

You need to delete the "Disk" resource to break the lease on the blob.

All Disks resources are found on the Management Portal under: Virtual Machines -> Disks

To delete the Disk resource follow the steps below:

1. On the Azure Management Portal, navigate to Virtual Machines -> Disks
    2. Select the Disk you want to delete.
    3. Confirm there is no Virtual Machine listed on the "Attached to" column
      1. Disks are detached from a deleted VM asynchronously, it may take a few minutes after the VM is deleted for this field to clear up.
    4. Click "Delete" and choose if you want to "Retain the associated VHD" or "Delete the associated VHD"
      1. If you choose to "Retain the associated VHD" the lease will be removed but the blog containing the VHD will be kept in your Storage Account. You may choose this option if you plan to delete the VHD directly from your storage account VHDs container, create a new Disk pointing to the existing VHD, download to your on-premises environment or just leave it there for future use.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

Are you trying to delete the blob and then you saw the above error message ?

When you delete a Virtual Machine / server on the Management Portal, the "Disk" resource used to mount the Virtual Machines VHD is kept.

The "Disk" resource is responsible for mounting the blob for the VHD file, so it can be attached to virtual machines as an OS Disk or Data Disk. It will continue to hold a lease on the blob for as long as it exists.

You need to delete the "Disk" resource to break the lease on the blob.

All Disks resources are found on the Management Portal under: Virtual Machines -> Disks

To delete the Disk resource follow the steps below:

1. On the Azure Management Portal, navigate to Virtual Machines -> Disks
    2. Select the Disk you want to delete.
    3. Confirm there is no Virtual Machine listed on the "Attached to" column
      1. Disks are detached from a deleted VM asynchronously, it may take a few minutes after the VM is deleted for this field to clear up.
    4. Click "Delete" and choose if you want to "Retain the associated VHD" or "Delete the associated VHD"
      1. If you choose to "Retain the associated VHD" the lease will be removed but the blog containing the VHD will be kept in your Storage Account. You may choose this option if you plan to delete the VHD directly from your storage account VHDs container, create a new Disk pointing to the existing VHD, download to your on-premises environment or just leave it there for future use.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Wednesday, June 17, 2015 3:55 PM
  • I ended up having to completely build a new server, install all the applications, migrate the data, set up all of the users, etc.

I was unable to delete the disk because it said it was locked even though I deleted the associated virtual machine.  It was horribly bugged out and refused to release.  If the disk was able to be deleted I would have just built a new virtual machine on it, booted it up, and been happily on my way.  I was able to copy the VHD using a third party tool, but I could never figure out how to create another bootable disk using that VHD.  This was a DS2 disk, so none of the howto's would work because everything is written for the old azure portal, and the new azure portal didn't seem to have any of those same capabilities.  Apparently the azure platform has a bug that can cause a disk to become locked when a VM is deleted, and you can't unlock it.  I couldn't figure out the powershell commands to create a bootable disk with a VHD, most of the stuff written on it wouldn't work on the DS2 system.

I'm considering moving off Azure because this could happen again, and it was a pretty horrible experience.  I wasn't even able to sign up for Microsoft support because the form to sign up for support was broken, and there was no way to call Microsoft support directly, I had to use the Microsoft support form to sign up which wouldn't let me authorize my phone number.

Even your screenshot is out of the legacy portal, and you can't use the legacy portal to manage ds2 disks.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 12:04 AM