windows 7 home premium RDC as client RRS feed

• Question

• I just upgraded from win xp sp3 to win home premium sp1  I have been able to connect RDC in win xp to our host terminal server, no problem

after upgrading to win 7 the RDC will not connect.  I also have an IPAD running Mocha RDP lite and using the same login credential it works fine thru the same home network, router and cable modem.

I also have Norton 360 with all default settings, contacted their tech support and they say it not a Norton problem.

I have a laptop with the same OS and norton,  and it will also not connect using RDC

I am completely baffeled, according to Microsoft, all versions of win 7 can connect as client using RDC

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Rod

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Are you using the full username?  For example, domain\username or for local account .\username ?

Connecting from iPad is different than using Remote Desktop Connection on windows--the iPad client is likely not using Network Level Authentication (NLA), so not using full username on iPad would probably work.

-TP

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:01 PM
  • Thanks TP

untill win 7,  I only needed username under win xp

just added domain\username and it works...dont know if something changed at the host or the new RDC under win 7 required it

Thanks again

rod

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Rod,

What is the precise error and/or incorrect behavior you are seeing?

When connecting, please make sure to use the full username.  For example, if the target machine is domain-joined you would use domain\username.  If you want to log on to the target using a local username you would use .\username for the user name.

-TP

• Proposed as answer by TP []MVP Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:48 AM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:43 PM
  • Error is:

its a windows security error "credential did not work" the credential used to connect to server xxxxxx did not work, please enter new credentials.

I use the exact same credentials on my IPAD and it works fine

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:53 PM
  • Hi,

Are you using the full username?  For example, domain\username or for local account .\username ?

Connecting from iPad is different than using Remote Desktop Connection on windows--the iPad client is likely not using Network Level Authentication (NLA), so not using full username on iPad would probably work.

-TP

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:01 PM
  • Thanks TP

untill win 7,  I only needed username under win xp

just added domain\username and it works...dont know if something changed at the host or the new RDC under win 7 required it

Thanks again

rod

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:30 PM