none
DPM backup Hyper-v Core? RRS feed

• Question

• i would like to backup the Hyper-v core host to just one file(such as VHD) and also can restore by choosing  just some Vm under the host
    does DPM work with this ?
    and how can i deploy the agent to the Hyper-v Core can it deploy like normally?
    on Workgroup or untrusted domain will it work because i have to install the agent manually so how to install the agent on Hyper-v Core?

Sunday, December 19, 2010 4:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Mahunnop,

It sounds like you are asking about item level recovery right out of the protected VHD itself. Yes that will work as long as the VM's you are protecting have the Hyper-V integration tools installed and the Hyper-V role is installed on the DPM server itself.

I hope all this information is helpful.

Monday, December 20, 2010 6:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Mahunnop,

Yes it is possible to back up the Hyper-V core server and the VHD's on it. It essentially is the same process as backing up any other type of server. If it is joined to your domain you can go through the normal agent install wizard or install the agent manually.

If you are new to core there is a tool out there called CoreConfigurator that can help you configure your core server. It can help you with tasks such as joining it to a domain. You can download it here:  http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sanderberkouwer/archive/2009/01/27/smart-x-coreconfigurator-1-2-0-2-i-m-impressed.aspx

If it is joined to a different domain or in a workgroup you can still protect the Hyper-V core server. There are two parts to this. Part 1 is installing the DPM agent on the computer that needs to be protected. Part 2 is to attach the agent in DPM.

Installing DPM agent:

·         Go to the Core server and UNC to this location on the DPM server \\DPMSERVERNAME\program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\ProtectionAgents\RA\ 3.0.7696.0\

·         I assume the server core is 64 bit so copy the amd64 folder to the C:\ drive on your core server. Navigate to the amd64 on your core server and launch DPMAgentInstaller_x64.exe.

·          When the agent is done installing you will have this path on your core server: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin Navigate to it and run this SetDpmServer.exe -dpmServerName THENAMEOFYOURDPMSERVER -isNonDomainServer -userName YOURUSERNAME (you need to create a local account on the core server that has local admin privileges and insert in this syntax. DPM uses this to access the server.)

The SetDPMServer command will configure your firewall for DPM.

Attaching the Agent in DPM:

·         Go to the DPM server and open the DPM admin Console.

·         Go to Management and the agents tab

·         Click install

·         On the Agent Install Wizard Choose Attach agents, and select Computer in a workgroup or untrusted domain then click Next.

·         Add the computer name of the computer you want to protect and add the account that you used when you ran the SetDpmServer.exe command on the core server.

·         Click Add to move the computer to the Selected computers box. Click Next to continue.

·         Click Attach to begin the agent installation.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 6:40 PM
  • Hi BuchaTech

Thank you for you help :)

i've a little more question if i would like to collect just some file on the Vm under that Host ,i mean not a whole Vm's VHD. is it still work?  

BR

Monday, December 20, 2010 4:22 AM
  • Hi Mahunnop,

It sounds like you are asking about item level recovery right out of the protected VHD itself. Yes that will work as long as the VM's you are protecting have the Hyper-V integration tools installed and the Hyper-V role is installed on the DPM server itself.

I hope all this information is helpful.

Monday, December 20, 2010 6:12 AM
  • If the above suggested answer does not help in resolving the thread then please re-open it.
    Cheers, Tyler F [MSFT] - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, January 7, 2011 2:41 PM