none
How to synch PWA with data entered directly into MSP Task Usage view? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi the resources on my project are entering their time into PWA, but I don't trust PWA to update MS Project correctly without pushing out dates unpredictably.  Therefore I tend to look at the time entered in PWA and manually enter it in MSProject Task Usage view.  I thought that once I had updated the schedule, saved it and published it in this way, it would update and synch PWA accordingly.  But when I go back into PWA, PWA assumes I still have to approve the time from the previous week, so MSP can be updated, which in fact, I've already done manually.  Is there something I can do, so PWA is no longer waiting for an approval?  (I know that I am not using PWA to it's full advantage, but I'd prefer to do it this way for awhile, if I can just figure out how to manage it.

BTW, when I go into Project I always get prompted if I want to "review updates and apply them to the plan".  I have never replied YES to this prompt.  Perhaps this could provide an avenue to synch the two applications, I don't know.  All I really want to do is trash the PWA data after I've manually input it into Project.

Thanks in advance for any insight into the Project to PWA synching process and how to deal with it.

David

David

Thursday, September 25, 2014 8:37 PM

Answers

• David --

Your assumption about the relationship between entering time manually in Microsoft Project, then saving and publishing, is only partially correct in regards to the timesheets of your team members in PWA.  If your team members had NOT filled out any timesheets, and then you manually enter progress in Microsoft Project, save and publish, when one of your team members created a new timesheet for that time period, they would see the Actual Work you entered on their behalf.  But when you do enter progress in Microsoft Project manually, save and publish, and your team members have ALREADY SUBMITTED their task updates, the system will not overwrite their timesheet progress.

If you go to the Approval Center page, and approve the pending task updates, Project Server will overwrite what you entered manually in Microsoft Project with the data submitted by your team members in PWA.  At least now you know where you stand using this unorthodox approach.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Djoliver1 Thursday, September 25, 2014 10:20 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 10:00 PM

All replies

• David --

Allow me to be the first personally to officially notify you that you are wasting your time because you are NOT using Project Server as intended.  When your team members enter their progress in PWA, and submit those task updates to you, you need to approve their updates in the Approval Center page in PWA.  The system will then update your project with the progress team members entered in PWA.  To see if things have moved, you should apply the Tracking Gantt view and look for schedule slippage.  This is assuming, of course, that you saved a Baseline in your project before you started entering progress.

What you are asking us for in this user forum is advice on how to use Project Server incorrectly.  I doubt that anyone is going to do this for you, as we are all advocates for using the software the way it was designed to be used.  You are using it wrong, and you need to change your processes to use it correctly.

OK, I will now get down off my soapbox and stop orating.  :)  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, September 25, 2014 8:54 PM
  • Nope, that didn't help Dale, although I know you've got plenty of knowledge that could help.  I know I'm not using PWA as intended.  I do have a baseline and I know that taking an interim baseline is a way to see what moved and start making adjustments.  I'm not using PWA by choice.  My preference would be to have the resources just send me spreadsheets with their time entry data in it and let me manually input it.  This would save me time having to reject their PWA reports and all that, or having to correct Project for how it input the data if I approve it.  So I know I'm asking how to work around PWA, using it for only half of what it was intended to do.  I used to know how to do this work around 6 years ago, the last time I used PWA, because it was easier than rejecting timesheets and trying to get the resources to resubmit them again -- but I forgot what I used to do when I had a better understanding of exactly how PWA and MS Project work together.  I was hoping someone could remind me how it works, so I could continue my renegade lifestyle. (haha)

Let me ask this question.  I've got a couple of weeks of unapproved time in PWA now, because I've been entering the time manually.  I thought I read that when you enter time manually in MSP, save and publish it, it will overwrite the data that was entered into PWA.  Is that true? 

What would happen if I went into PWA now and approved all time there?  Would PWA overwrite the actuals I had entered into MSP for the last couple of weeks?  Or have the unapproved data in PWA already been overwritten by what I entered manually in MSP over the last 2 weeks.  If the former is the case then I'm going to have to save the current plan to an MPP file, kill the schedule on the server and reload it.  Then I can start over with a different tactic, since this one has trapped me.  (unless someone can tell me how to do what I asked above, assuming that's possible???) 

As always, I appreciate your knowledge and your willingness to share it Dale.  Don't let my unorthodox procedure, in this case, get in the way of that.  I really appreciate your responses, past and future, I hope.

Thanks,

David

David

Thursday, September 25, 2014 9:12 PM
  • David --

Your assumption about the relationship between entering time manually in Microsoft Project, then saving and publishing, is only partially correct in regards to the timesheets of your team members in PWA.  If your team members had NOT filled out any timesheets, and then you manually enter progress in Microsoft Project, save and publish, when one of your team members created a new timesheet for that time period, they would see the Actual Work you entered on their behalf.  But when you do enter progress in Microsoft Project manually, save and publish, and your team members have ALREADY SUBMITTED their task updates, the system will not overwrite their timesheet progress.

If you go to the Approval Center page, and approve the pending task updates, Project Server will overwrite what you entered manually in Microsoft Project with the data submitted by your team members in PWA.  At least now you know where you stand using this unorthodox approach.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Djoliver1 Thursday, September 25, 2014 10:20 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2014 10:00 PM
  • yes, that was helpful, Dale.  I'll need to manually enter the updates this last time, save the file as an MPP, delete the version of the server and reload it, which will wipe the slate on PWA and then go forward using it the way it was designed to be used. 

I think previously I just found it easier to do the manual entry, save it as an MPP file and then overwrite the existing file on the server.  But we don't have that option any more.  We can't load our own schedules.   We have to go through an admin.  So I'll have to change my foolish ways and get with the program.

Thanks,

David

David

Thursday, September 25, 2014 10:24 PM