none
Cannot reconnect to network shared drive with Windows 10

Question

• After months of trouble in getting the NAS drives mapped, all was well until a reboot or a logoff. After a reboot, a popup message briefly appeared just above the lower right corner of the taskbar indicating network drives could not be reconnected.

I have searched and searched for a possible fix or a method to resolve the mystery of reconnecting the NAS shared drive.

Anyone else have this issue with Windows 10?

Topology:
                                                           -> NAS 3 Shared folder
                                                           -> NAS 2 Shared folder  
                                                           -> NAS 1 Shared folder
                                                          /    
    Cable modem -> Router -> 1Gb Network Hub
                                                          \
                                                           -> Windows 10 Pro x64  (Windows Firewall NAS ports opened - AVG Antivirus shared access allowed)

If anyone has a viable solution, please consider sharing.

When using the net use command, error message code 53 appear, network path not found.

• Edited by wvlucas Friday, August 21, 2015 12:49 PM
    Friday, August 21, 2015 12:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• The issue might be that your NAS use old version of SMB

Go to "Control Panel -> Programs"
    Select "Turn Windows features on or off" (requires admin rights)
    There you will find "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support". Enable it!

reboot 

Friday, August 21, 2015 12:46 PM
  • Thanks, but that is not the problem. Not sure if this is the old or new version, but this is the version that was installed with Windows 10 Pro x64.
    Saturday, August 22, 2015 5:20 AM
  • did you try my solution. 

Windows 10 come with SMB 3 if your NAS device is old or doesn't support it you will have connection issue.

How can you say it`s not the issue if you have no clue what version you are running

Saturday, August 22, 2015 10:25 AM
  • Because I was able to map to the NAS drives. After a reboot, mapped drives no longer connected. So if it was the SMB, the mapped drives could not have been connected in the first place. That is how I can say it isn't the SMB. BTW, the NAS drives are a year old. I don't think the NAS drives is the issue.

Sunday, August 23, 2015 7:54 AM
  • Hi wvlucas,

Please take a try with the suggestions posted by Frederick Dicaire.

NAS drive connection is issueed here since build 9879, and insist in Windows 10 build 10130.

Some folks shared that when upgrade to Windows 10, there would be problems connecting to their NAS drive shares, reported error 0x8004005 or system error 53, the workaround here is to disable SMB2/3, this forces Windows 10 to use SMB 1.5.

There is another problem reported, when enabling PIN, NAS drive would also have issues when connecting or showing up under file explorer.

More details, please check the similar thread below:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bcaf3172-83bc-4230-860b-f6887bf65356/accessing-nas-not-working-in-windows-10-technical-preview?forum=WinPreview2014General

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 24, 2015 2:08 AM
  • Thank you kindly for your assistance. However, when observing the features options, I noticed that the only option, which is indeed checked, is the SMB 1.

If there is a SMB 2/3, then I am not aware of its existence on this system.

The way the system is configured now is with the SMB 1 enabled.

Any other suggestions to resolve this issue is greatly desired. Thank you.

BTW, I am not able to anchor or attached any links or screenshots because my account is not verified. How does one get the account verified?

Monday, August 24, 2015 5:58 PM
  • wvlucas,

Please see the link below regarding account verify:

How to Verify Your MSDN/TechNet Forums Account So that You Can Post Images and
    Links

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15960.how-to-verify-your-msdntechnet-forums-account-so-that-you-can-post-images-and-links.aspx

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 1:36 AM
  • minesis alreafy on
    Tuesday, March 01, 2016 5:34 PM
  • after windows 10 upgrade i could not connect to shares on the two computers i upgraded

i tried several things but finally i found that control panel / windows firewall /allow an app or feature through windows firewall

select  445 TCP IB_BLOCK and 445 UDP IB_BLOCK and select Private for those items

this fixed the drive sharing problems i had on two computers
    • Edited by spinfowars Sunday, July 16, 2017 7:18 PM add text
    • Proposed as answer by spinfowars Sunday, July 16, 2017 7:21 PM
    Sunday, July 16, 2017 7:10 PM