Things stopping me from using Steadystate... RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have downloaded and installed Steadystate on several lab machines to test out its effectiveness.   Overall it seems VERY effective at restoring the machines back to their golden image state.  I have it currently set up to remove all changes at a specified time, set in 6 month increments. 

During that time though, many updates are applied to numerous pieces of software, many of which are remotely pushed, and many of which are non-microsoft products. 

Unfortunately there are a few issues that are preventing me from rolling out SteadyState in all of our labs.  

1) I can not figure out how to save the updates that are downloaded and installed by Trend Micro's Officescan Clients.  Updates are pushed over the network via our Network Admin, and interfaced through the Officescan Client.  Unfortunately when I ask Steadystate to return back to the golden image state it removes all software and virus signature updates, requiring me to reinstall these updates and have steadystate save it.  This can take up to 15 minutes per machine just to apply the virus scan updates after a restoring to the golden image via steadystate. 

2) Unable to save updates for other pieces of software without manually going to each system, installing the software, and then asking the machine, via steadystate, to save changes for 1 reboot.  We use several pieces of software that are updated on nearly a weekly basis, which makes using steadystate extremely tedious in this situation.  If there was a way to select a particular piece of software, and have steadystate track all changes that particular piece of software makes, and then ask it to save these changes upon the next restoration to the golden image, then it would save hundreds of hours per year.  Even if I were to install these pieces of software on a seperate partition, chances are, that any changes made to the registry by these pieces of software would be tossed out, causing the software to not function properly. 

3) No remote management tool.  If there was a way for me to setup the various computer labs into groups, and if I was given the ability to use a tool to select a lab, push out a software update, and then tell Steadystate to save changes for 1 reboot, it would save tons of time.  Unfortunately steadystate requires a manual login to disable, which is extremely time consuming.   If I could control Steadystate from the comfort of a 'master machine' in each lab, or perhaps a central computer on the campus, it would be helpful to see, at a snapshot, the steadystate status of each machine in every lab on campus, and have the option to enable or disable steadystate.  For example, if I know that the IT department will be pushing out a major update tonight, I could log in, and disable steadystate that evening, and when I came into work the next morning, and verified the update had been applied, I could then re-enable steadystate at the click of a button for each lab.   This would save having several technicians running to dozens of labs, logging into hundreds of machines to disable steadystate, only to have to re-enable it the next day after the update is pushed.  

Those are just a few.  Any suggestions on how to address them?

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 3:24 PM