none
WD My Passport Ultra Red - Letter G - lost in 'This PC' windows 10

Question

• An update started for Windows 10 without my permission. It stopped my external HDD in the midst of my work. Now, the drive letter G is totally gone.

The device itself only shows up by the clock to allow removal. It does not show up in 'This PC'. I have tried everything short of expensive data recovery. My life is on this drive and I need all my data back.

Yes, I did try to use device on another computer and same problem.

The disk renamed itself as disk 1 not initialized and says 'fatal disk error'

I did try all the fixes I saw on videos with no success. I could not add a drive letter or rename one either. G does show up when I have drives plugged into 2 of 3 ports on Asus laptop - but it doesn't say 'My Passport' and doesn't open. I have tried using another cable and that didn't help either.

So what do I do now?

Also: Please tell me what I need to recover my data myself from the HDD.

Sunday, February 19, 2017 2:48 AM

All replies

• Hi KK 2017,

Since the external HDD didn`t work on other machine and the error message shows "fatal disk error". I am afraid the external HDD has been corrupted. You should contact the HDD hardware support for help.

If the data on this drive is so vital, we may consider to contact the professional data recovery center for help.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 20, 2017 2:08 AM
  • Hello KK,

As you said your disk renamed itself as disk 1 not initialized, then it means the disk drive have lost its file system and turned into RAW format. In order to reuse the drive, you need to initialize it first. 

To get your data back, you can download Windows data recovery software of Stellar Phoenix or can take your drive to data repairing centre as MeipoXu suggested.

Monday, February 20, 2017 4:52 AM
  • I tried Hardware Support etc...they were of no help and also data recovery options locally were no help. No one and I mean no one wants to do this job. The last person I talked to made all kinds of assumptions and acted like it was useless to even try to recover my data. I also tried windows recovery software. Yes, data is very important to me - everything is on it...and I mean everything. I have now found out that Windows 10 has meant death for WD My Passport for many others. I advise that no one buys WD products of any kind. Their customer support is terrible. I was on the phone for hours and hours before finally talking to a human being. Super Geeks here has bad reviews...My last option is to learn how to fix it myself.

Does anyone know the name of the gizmos you need to recover data off external HDD and which of those is good for WD My Passport Red???

Saturday, March 4, 2017 3:39 AM