Removing a Downstream server from our Admin WSUS server RRS feed

• Question

• I recently took over responsibility for our WSUS environment (currently WSUS 3.0 SP2). I noticed that in the Downstream Servers section on the WSUS server that it has 3 servers listed, 2 are in Replica Mode and 1 is "unknown". The servers are actually all the same server (our SCCM server)......it just listed 3 times. The server has not checked in for almost 4 years. I have zero history on this. I think my predecessor was trying to use the WSUS server to try and "slip stream" updates to the SCCM server wim files since that is what we use to build our client machines. Most links talk about how to setup and configure Downstream Servers, not finding much on removal.

I assume it is OK to just delete the Downstream Servers entries from our functioning WSUS server since the process isn't working anyway? Or, do I need to remove the WSUS role from my SCCM server first, then delete the entries from the WSUS server? I'd prefer to do this the graceful way if possible.

Jason

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 3:35 AM

Answers

• Hello,

As long as the WSUS role is not needed on your SCCM server, you can safely remove the WSUS role. 

Before remove the WSUS role, please make sure there is no clients that point to this server for update and the WSUS server is not used for SCCM server.

After that, you can delete the entries from WSUS server. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Yan Li_ Wednesday, November 29, 2017 7:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jack Leidu Wednesday, November 29, 2017 2:45 PM
    Wednesday, November 22, 2017 6:16 AM