none
Best practice for partial resource assignments please RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Struggling a bit with following scenario:

Using the plan as a 'Resourcing overview' showing what work a scarce resource is doing, (and only that one)

I have added a line as follows:

Create AUTO-SCHEDULED FIXED WORK task (representing a services engagement) and assign a Business Analyst resource (standard calendars used throughout)

Added the number of hours scoped for the piece to the WORK column - MSP schedules the task and calculates expected duration (i.e. 160hrs work will take 4 weeks at 8hrs per day, 5 days per week)

Add ACTUAL WORK to task - MSP schedules the remaining duration (i.e. if 40hrs completed, remaining duration calculated as 3 weeks)

The resource now specifies a second developer resource to work on task.

I want to keep the total work value, end the BA resource involvement end of week 2 and ensure the rest of the assigned hours use the developer resource (to end week 4). This will be 80hrs to BA then 80hrs to developer 

Which is the best view to do this and how do I stop MSP doing it's usual recalculations? How do I assign BA from start date to end week 2 and developer from start week 3 to end date?

Thursday, September 7, 2017 4:17 AM

All replies

• Hi, Because this is fixed work any remaining work will be split equally between the assigned resources.  As you have specified it works fine.  The view I would use is a split view, where in the lower pane I show the TASK USAGE view, and add in remaining work to the view.  Please see the screen shots below - the 1st with the initial resource assigned, and the 2nd with the 2nd resource assigned.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Thursday, September 7, 2017 7:08 AM