none
Secure and optimize Azure hosting environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to Azure and have been assigned responsibility of our hosting environment in Azure.
    The environment consists of one fileserver, terminal server, database server, RDS server with Gateway and web access, License server with Licensing and Connection broker, and AD.
    Our customers sing in to the terminal server to run the application.

This is a production environment, so I have to thread lightly.

When the environment was created no one thought about Redundancy or Disaster recovery. My mission now is to take steps for improving the environment and ensure 99,9% uptime.

I have been googlig myself crazy, and i just get more confused by every article i read.

I could really use your help to sort through this ocean of information, so what I need to know i basically; Where do i start?

Which meassures needs to be taken and why?

In which order should i prioritize?

Which traps could I fall in to?

If you have ant articles, blogs, videos etc that you thing would be relevant I would greatly appreciate that.

Best Regards
    Thursday, June 14, 2018 12:08 PM

All replies

• It seems like you need something like a managed service for working with Azure. I know of Cloudways hosting that provides managed hosting on cloud, but they don't support Azure right now. You can search for something similar to their platform for Azure. The best thing about managed service is that you can save your time and energy that otherwise go into setting up the environment.
    • Edited by devstart Monday, June 18, 2018 7:13 PM editing answer
    Monday, June 18, 2018 7:12 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your respose. That, unfortunately, is not an option right now.
    I've decided to implement Availability sets, and double up on VM's for redundancy. 
    I have found a PowerShell script that can help me to move excisting VM's to an Availability set. I will of course test this before I try anything on the PROD environment.
    Should I create one set for each VM, or one for backend/frontend?

When creating av second VM for redundancy, how should i do that? The excisting servers has a lot of setup and programs installed, and the users log on to the server using FQDN. How can I create a second VM that will be a "clone" of the original?

BR
    Tuesday, June 19, 2018 9:57 AM