MS EXCHANGE 2010 MANAGEMENT CONSOLE NOT EXPANIDING RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, Gents, 

I would to have your kind help and technical advise. 

I have deployed Exchange Server 2010 Platform, the installation was completed successfully. Unfortunately the EMC not expanding the server Roles, and its sates that "Server is unavailable " . 

My Exchange Server platform details as follows. 

Primary domain OS : Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard. X64
    Exchange Server OS: Windows Server 2012 R2 Std. X64
    Exchange Server Version : Microsoft Exchange server 2010 X64

Appreciate your kind advise.

EMC

Faris

Friday, June 16, 2017 10:56 PM

Answers

•  

Hi FarisPv,

As per your error this is the default Database of Exchange created when you first time install Exchange Server, in your case its "Mailbox Database 1511122044". Now the challenge is to remove this Database to un install your Exchange 2010.

You are facing this error because system mailbox, arbitration mailbox exist in this database so you cannot un install your exchange until you move these mailboxes.

There are four things you need to consider.

1. Moving Arbitration Mailboxes
    2. Moving Discovery Mailbox,DiscoverySearchMailbox
    3. Moving User Mailboxes
    4. Moving Archive Mailboxes

You need to run following PowerShell to move these mailboxe from Default Database to another Database you have created if not please create another DB. 

Get-Mailbox -Arbitration -Database “Mailbox Database 1511122044″

You will see Systemmailbox and FederatedEmail

Now you have to move these to another database you have created from PowerShell

Get-MailboxDatabase     will show you both databases Default one & newly created one. 

Move mailboxes to another DB

Get-Mailbox -Arbitration -Database “Mailbox Database 1511122044” | New-MoveRequest -TargetDatabase “YourNewlyCreatedDatabase

You can see the queue of moving these mailboxes.

For moving Discovery Mailbox you can Use Exchange Management Console with Local Move Request.

Click on Recipient Configuration in Exchange Management Console--> Right Click on DiscoverySearchMailbox-->Click New Local Move Request-->In wizard you need to select the Newly created Mailbox Database, this will be moved from default to new DB.

In the same way you the move Administrator mailbox and archive mailbox

You can view the move status using the Exchange management Console and once it is completed, you can remove it from Recipient Configuration--> Move Request.

Move the other user's mailbox if you created in the Default mailbox.

Now you can delete the default Mailbox Database safely without any problem and continue your un installation process of Exchange.

Kindly click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Regards.

H.shakir

• Edited by H Shakir Monday, June 19, 2017 10:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Farispv Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:32 PM
    Monday, June 19, 2017 10:07 PM

All replies

• have been try to install SP3 for your exchange 2010? only exchange 2010 sp3 support windows 2012 R2
    Friday, June 16, 2017 11:36 PM
  • Hello, Gents, 

I would to have your kind help and technical advise. 

I have deployed Exchange Server 2010 Platform, the installation was completed successfully. Unfortunately the EMC not expanding the server Roles, and its sates that "Server is unavailable " . 

My Exchange Server platform details as follows. 

Primary domain OS : Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard. X64
    Exchange Server OS: Windows Server 2012 R2 Std. X64
    Exchange Server Version : Microsoft Exchange server 2010 X64

Appreciate your kind advise.

EMC

Faris

Exchange 2010 does not support Windows Server 2012R2.

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/ff728623(v=exchg.150).aspx#Anchor_2

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Saturday, June 17, 2017 12:23 PM
  • Thank you for your reply. I downloaded now MS Exchange 2010 SP3. In order to deploy new version i was trying to uninstall the Server roles from server, Unfortunately while processing the Uninstall the mailbox role getting failed ( Below screen shot ) Could you please help me to figure the issue. Please note that i don't know the <Database ID > to run the Get-Mailbox command as per below.

Faris

Saturday, June 17, 2017 9:13 PM
  • Thank you for your reply. I downloaded now MS Exchange 2010 SP3. In order to deploy new version i was trying to uninstall the Server roles from server, Unfortunately while processing the Uninstall the mailbox role getting failed ( Below screen shot ) Could you please help me to figure the issue. Please note that i don't know the <Database ID > to run the Get-Mailbox command as per below.

Faris

Saturday, June 17, 2017 9:14 PM
  • you don't need to uninstall exchange 2010, you just need to download sp3 and install it.
    Saturday, June 17, 2017 9:20 PM
  • Hi,

Can you please give a reboot to your server and check the results and also update here.

If the reboot not works for you then follow below method.

1. Close all MMC/EMC instances before proceeding.
    2. Open Registry Editor (regedit) as the user you run the EMC under.
    3. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\v14\AdminTools
    4. Look for value NodeStructureSetting.
    5. If it is there, back it up and then remove it.

Kindly click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Regards.

H.shakir

• Edited by H Shakir Sunday, June 18, 2017 11:22 AM
    Sunday, June 18, 2017 11:18 AM

Faris

The DatabaseId is in the first line of the error message.  It sounds like this is a greenfield install.  Why are you installing Exchange 2010 and not Exchange 2016.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Sunday, June 18, 2017 12:41 PM
  •  

Hi FarisPv,

As per your error this is the default Database of Exchange created when you first time install Exchange Server, in your case its "Mailbox Database 1511122044". Now the challenge is to remove this Database to un install your Exchange 2010.

You are facing this error because system mailbox, arbitration mailbox exist in this database so you cannot un install your exchange until you move these mailboxes.

There are four things you need to consider.

1. Moving Arbitration Mailboxes
    2. Moving Discovery Mailbox,DiscoverySearchMailbox
    3. Moving User Mailboxes
    4. Moving Archive Mailboxes

You need to run following PowerShell to move these mailboxe from Default Database to another Database you have created if not please create another DB. 

Get-Mailbox -Arbitration -Database “Mailbox Database 1511122044″

You will see Systemmailbox and FederatedEmail

Now you have to move these to another database you have created from PowerShell

Get-MailboxDatabase     will show you both databases Default one & newly created one. 

Move mailboxes to another DB

Get-Mailbox -Arbitration -Database “Mailbox Database 1511122044” | New-MoveRequest -TargetDatabase “YourNewlyCreatedDatabase

You can see the queue of moving these mailboxes.

For moving Discovery Mailbox you can Use Exchange Management Console with Local Move Request.

Click on Recipient Configuration in Exchange Management Console--> Right Click on DiscoverySearchMailbox-->Click New Local Move Request-->In wizard you need to select the Newly created Mailbox Database, this will be moved from default to new DB.

In the same way you the move Administrator mailbox and archive mailbox

You can view the move status using the Exchange management Console and once it is completed, you can remove it from Recipient Configuration--> Move Request.

Move the other user's mailbox if you created in the Default mailbox.

Now you can delete the default Mailbox Database safely without any problem and continue your un installation process of Exchange.

Regards.

H.shakir

• Edited by H Shakir Monday, June 19, 2017 10:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Farispv Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:32 PM
    Monday, June 19, 2017 10:07 PM
  • Hi,

First important thing as Hinte said, Exchange 2010 SP1/SP2/SP3 is not supported on Windows Server 2012 R2.

Then what you have to do is to remove/disable mailboxes on Database "Mailbox Database 1511122044" before uninstalling Exchange 2010. 

Can you open EMS? Try the following commands:

Get-Mailbox -Database "Mailbox Database 1511122044" | Disable-Mailbox -Confirm:$false
    Get-Mailbox -Arbitration -Database "Mailbox Database 1511122044" | Disable-Mailbox -Confirm:$false

Best Regards,

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 5:28 AM
  • Thanks for the info.

Faris

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:32 PM
  • Thanks for the info.

Faris

I was able to resolve this issue with the details provided above. 

and also we preferred to go with Exchange 2013/2016 shortly. 

Faris

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 10:34 PM