none
Project Server 2010 - Duplicate Project names in the Server Setting Manage Queue list of Projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are using MS Project Server 2010.  We are new uses and trying to administer it ourselves.  Like many we have run into the Can not Save Error 9000, and think the file was corrupt we recreated it in a different way.  We opened a new file and inserted the old file in as a subproject.  Then deleted the old file and save this as a new file wtih the same name as the old file.

We are experencing other issues like accessing a schedule that is showing up twice as  READ only on one mcahine and accessing the same schedule name on another machine sees different results.  It appears one machine is looking at one version and the other is seeing the old version.

The issue at hand - how do we eliminate the older version of these proejcts so taht only one project name shows up on the mange queue list?  I might also add they do not show up as duplicates on the Enterprise list of files.

Thank you

Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:16 PM

All replies

• Hello Jona

It sounds like you are still working with project MPP files.  Are you openning project schedules from the "Retrieve from Server".   If not, make sure you have the accounts setup to access project server.

Michael

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 8:21 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Yes we are using the MPP files. Generally our folks Retrieve the files from the server via the MS Project client.  Some times the open them from the PWA, but rarely.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 8:42 PM
  • It sounds like you are mixing project schedules between the server and stand-alone.  If you open a project schedule from the server and then save as MPP, you are creating a new version of project schedule.  The comment that project is showing "Read Only', indicates to me that someone open the project schedule and did not check it back in.

I don't know why you are using project server, if you are openning MPP files.  With project server manaing your project schedules, all the information is store in tables in the SQL server. There is no reason for MPP files, other than you may want to send a version to someone who does not have access to project server.

My simple solution to this is not to save or open project schedules from MPP.  Only open, modify, save and checkin to project server.  And two, make sure you have accounts set up in FILE/INFO/Manage accounts.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:06 PM
  • Michael,

Just to be clear, we are not using the standalone MS Project we are using the server.  I realize all is kept in tables on the serve.

The point I am trying to make is when I open

Server Settings and go to Manage Queue Jobs - and Select Proejcts to review, the project list that is displayed contains duplicate file names.

I need to find out what to look at on the SERVER that would show me the duplicate files and how to delete the bad  or old one?

Thank you

Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:13 PM