Transfering calls to user with call forwarding turned on RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

We're using Skype for Business enterprise voice on-prem, and have our CEO set up with his call forwarding turned on to go directly to his delegates. He only has one delegate, which is his assistant. When calls come in for the CEO, the assistant answers the calls, and transfers to the CEO if required.

We're running into an issue, where if The CEO's assistant (assistant 1) goes on leave, assistant 1 will forward all her calls to a different assistant (assistant 2). Therefore, when a call comes into the CEO, assistant 2 receives the call. When assistant 2 tries to transfer the call to the CEO, the call gets forwarded from the CEO back to assistant 1 due to his call forwarding settings.

Other than having to change the CEO's delegates every time assistant 1 goes on leave, could anybody suggest a setup that would allow assistant 2 to be able to transfer the calls to the CEO without it ending up trying to call assistant 1?

Hopefully that makes sense!

Thanks

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 8:16 PM

All replies

• Gidday,

This looks like it is behaving as expected. If assistant 1 is already a delegate, why are calls also being forwarded? It defeats the purpose of being a delegate. The CEO should only have the delegation enabled and ignore all calls except those forwarded from assistant 1 or assitant 2. 

Cheers,

Matthew

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 9:37 PM
  • Hi Matthew,

The CEO's call forwarding is set to "Forward to Delegates". His delegate group contains only assistant 1. When assistant 1 is on leave/away from the office, and someone calls the CEO, the call goes:

CEO (forward to delegates) > assistant 1 (forward to assistant 2) >  call arrives at assistant 2

If the call needs to go back to the CEO, it goes:

assistant 2 > CEO (forward to delegate) > assistant 1 who isn't there.

I know it's a bit of a longshot, but I was trying to find an easier way of getting around this so the CEO doesn't need to change his delegate group every time his assistant leaves the office.

Also - I see you're at UC. I'm also in Christchurch at Foodstuffs South Island. Hope all is good with you after the recent shakes.

Cheers.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 10:06 PM
  • Gidday,

Oh I get it now. We tend to default to using simultaneous ring when setting delegates, but I can see why forwarding would be used. Unfortunately, I think they may have to update the delegates list in those instances (or I guess admins could do it via seafutil as required).

Yeah we all good after the quakes, thanks for asking. Fared a lot better than those up north.

Cheers,

Matthew

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 10:15 PM
  • One more thought... Have you tried configuring a private line for the CEO? Forwarding rules wont apply to it, so assistant 2 could forward to that number without any issues.

Cheers,

Matthew

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 10:21 PM
  • Hi CSfrost,

Welcome to our forum.

This is default behavior, if assistant1 goes on leave, you must modify delegate on CEO to forward to assistant2 directly. Because if you don’t modify, the call into CEO will still forward to assistant 1, assistant1 is listed on CEO’s delegate.

If there are any questions or issues, please be free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Thursday, November 17, 2016 1:53 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2016 6:58 AM
  • Good idea Matthew, hadn't thought of this.

Will give it a go!

Cheers

Thursday, November 17, 2016 10:11 PM
  • Hi CSfrost,

Thanks for your back, If the above suggestions are helpful to you, please mark it as answer so that someone who has similar issue could find this thread as soon as possible.

If there are any questions or issues, please be free to let me know.   

Best Regards,
    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, November 20, 2016 3:48 AM
  • Hello,

This is a quite common scenario in my organization. What we have done is to configure a main and private line for the boss, and forward the main line to the admin. When the assistant picks up the call, she dials the boss private line to transfer the call to her boss. If the assistant forwards her phone elsewhere, the boss's line "follows" the forward

Another advantage is that the boss calls can be picked up by other assistant (if the 2 assistants are in the same pick up group)

Finally the scnario is valid also for an assistant with multiple bosses. There are some implications, though, this scenario is not valid when there is only 1 assistant and I am currently experiencing some problems with the voicemail, as when somebody calls the boss and the assistant doesn't answer, the call goes to the assitant's voicemail (I've created a different post for this in the forum)

Cheers,

Saturday, February 11, 2017 6:25 AM