none
DPM 2012 R2 upgrade fails to run dpmsync -restoredb. RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    Im experiencing some problems when trying to restore dpmdb.bak

    Original setup was Win2012 Std. with DPM 2012 SP1 and latest RU, on a physical HP DL 360 Gen8
    SQL is a local instance 2008 R2

    Upgrade failed at the very end saying "failed to create dpm service", it was suggested that the probable cause
    was that the system was pending reboot wich it was not!

    I followed the error message and uninstalled DPM, rebooted and reinstalled DPM2012 R2, during install I had to point out an existing DPM instance/database wich I did, klicked the "check and install" and went on installing without any further problems.
    I also checked "retain data" during the install.

    When trying to restore the db using syntax "dpmsync -restoredb -dbloc c:\temp\dpmdb.bak -instancename msdpm2012 -dpmdbname dpmdb" I get the following error.


    "Error ID: 454
    DpmSync failed to connect to the specified SQL Server instance. Make sure that y
    ou have specified a valid SQL server instance associated with DPM and you are lo
    gged on as a user with administrator privileges.

    Detailed Error: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while esta
    blishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessi
    ble. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured
    to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could
    not open a connection to SQL Server)"

    I enabled Named Pipes and entered TCP/IP port 1433 in SQL configuration manager and ran the command again with the same result.

    When checking the databse using SQL Mgmt. Studio I found out that there was now two databases, the original MSDPM and
    a new db named MSDPM_Servername, confusion!

    Now, my SQL knowledge is poor to say the least so I'm hoping that someone has a solution or a tip to push me forward.
    Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

    Thank you.

    Peter Åkerblom Stockholm.


    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 6:49 AM

All replies

  • Additional information.

    We found out that the dpmsync -restoredb command failed with reason "access denied", it could not overwrite the original db.

    So we dropped the original db and moved it out of its default folder and ran the command again.

    The dpmdb did this time in fact get restored to default path but some errors.

    From event log:

    "

    The description for Event ID 3750 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

    If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

    The following information was included with the event:

    Version 4.1.3313.0 of the DPM database, and version 4.2.1205.0 of the DPM application are not compatible.

    Problem Details:

    <DatabaseVersionMismatch><__System><ID>29</ID><Seq>0</Seq><TimeCreated>2014-10-21 07:45:57</TimeCreated><Source>d:\btvsts\21011\private\product\engine\service\dll\servicemodule.cpp</Source><Line>183</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><DatabaseVersion>4.1.3313.0</DatabaseVersion><BinariesVersion>4.2.1205.0</BinariesVersion></DatabaseVersionMismatch>"

    From what I understand a database version upgrade should be taken care of during dpmsync-restoredb but I must be miskaten.

    Any suggestions on how to upgrade the databse ?


    Peter.

    • Proposed as answer by V Jay Rana Wednesday, October 22, 2014 7:32 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by V Jay Rana Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:40 AM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:16 AM
  • Hello

    Try with .mdf file instead of .bak, I did it last week. something like DPMSync -RestoreDB -dbloc C:\teamp\dpmdb.mdf


    • Edited by V Jay Rana Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:52 AM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:50 AM
  • Hi,

    Thank you Vijay for your suggestion but the problem is now solved using another approach.

    The noble art of reinstalling DPM 2012 SP1 and thereafter reinstalling all the rollups in the same order they where originally installed.

    Restoredb and DPMsync -sync. That took us back to square one and we will try to do the upgrade to 2012 R2 again later today.

    Peter .Å

    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 9:29 AM
  • Hi

    use the SQL Management Studio to restore the DPM DB, works best, after that run dpmsync -sync


    Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:14 AM