none
Windows 10 1903 kills Silverlight LOB applications RRS feed

• Question

• We've run into a serious problem on PCs that have upgraded to Windows 10 1903.

Silverlight web applications are allowed to interact with local components provided two conditions:

A) The web application is signed with the same signing certificate that has signed the local component

B) The following registry keys are set to 1:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Silverlight\AllowElevatedTrustAppsInBrowser

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Silverlight\AllowLaunchOfElevatedTrustApps

Starting with Windows 10 1903, a Windows operating system process, ccmexec.exe actively reverts any changes made to either of these registry key values.   This has the effect of breaking Silverlight LOB (line of business) applications.

I can find no way to circumvent this, and the result will inevitably be disastrous and devastating for our internal and external customers using these applications as Win 10 1903 is deployed.

There is no Group Policy deployed in our org that would be involved in this new behavior, and this reversion is completely independent of Windows Defender process.

Any help or advice on turning off this active registry reversion "feature" would be appreciated. 

Friday, September 27, 2019 5:41 PM

All replies

• I don't have a process called "ccmexec.exe" on my 1903 system, so not a general Windows 10 problem.

The process seems to be "Systems Management Server (SMS) Agent Host service", so you might be better of asking in a SCCM forum.
    Friday, September 27, 2019 6:19 PM
  • Systems Management Server pushes out patches and keeps your software updated via an agent that's installed on your PC. This agent shows up in task manager as CcmExec.exe (where ccm stands for change and configuration management), and in the services list as the SMS Agent Host.

On my 1903 machine, I don’t see CcmExec.exe. And, terminating or blocking SMS (ccmexec.exe and inventory.exe) doesn’t affect the system.

You need to contact your SCCM team for help.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 30, 2019 2:51 AM
  • Would you mind letting me know the update of the problem? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 3, 2019 9:17 AM