MDT 2012: Running "Sysprep and capture TS" from inside the OS still supported? RRS feed

• Question

• In the past for our smaller customers, our engineers built manually a Windows 7 reference client (mostly in a VM environment), then ran the "sysprep and capture TS" from inside the OS as described in http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2009/10/06/how-to-run-a-sysprep-and-capture-task-sequence-from-mdt-2010.aspx.

With MDT 2012 Update 1, this procedure doesn't run raliable anymore. Either the capture process or the deployment fails with various different errors. This can also be easely observed in this newsgroup. Because of these problems, our enigneers started again to install MDT 2010 for new deployment projects.

My question: Haven't found any MDT 2012 documentation about running the "sysprep and capture TS" from inside a client OS. I this procedure still supported and/or recommended with MDT 2012 Update 1? Thank you all in advance for any help.

Franz

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 8:32 AM

Answers

• Personally I use a Standard task sequence to build and capture all in one shot. I add a suspend ts right before the capture to do any manual work on the image. This has never failed me for Windows 7 or Windows 8.

This is absolutely best practice.  I do exactly the same thing, all on Hyper-V.  Lets me build a clean reference image each time and you can automate and schedule this, also (see my blog for an example).  The goal, of course, is to get rid of that suspend job and manual efforts so the build is completely automated. : )

Franz, if you are having issues with reliability, probably best to resolve those specifically instead of returning to MDT 2010 as MDT 2012 U1 supports Windows 8, and going forward you'll need MDT 2013 for Windows 8.1 support.  If you can provide examples of what you are struggling with, there are lots of good folks here that can help resolve those issues.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

• Proposed as answer by ccatlett_sogeti Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by FranzSchenk Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:07 PM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:43 PM
    Answerer
  • Personally I use a Standard task sequence to build and capture all in one shot. I add a suspend ts right before the capture to do any manual work on the image. This has never failed me for Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Proposed as answer by Frank TroutMVP Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:57 PM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 2:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, this is way to do it. You should run the Sysprep and Capture from Windows with MDT 2012 Update 1.

If your computer is joined to a domain, it will fail. For more info about the error you can check the log file

Revue du Geek | Astuces pour déployer Windows 7

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 12:00 PM

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Proposed as answer by Frank TroutMVP Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:57 PM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 2:13 PM

This is absolutely best practice.  I do exactly the same thing, all on Hyper-V.  Lets me build a clean reference image each time and you can automate and schedule this, also (see my blog for an example).  The goal, of course, is to get rid of that suspend job and manual efforts so the build is completely automated. : )

Franz, if you are having issues with reliability, probably best to resolve those specifically instead of returning to MDT 2010 as MDT 2012 U1 supports Windows 8, and going forward you'll need MDT 2013 for Windows 8.1 support.  If you can provide examples of what you are struggling with, there are lots of good folks here that can help resolve those issues.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

• Proposed as answer by ccatlett_sogeti Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:55 PM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:43 PM
    Answerer