AppV5 SP2 - Publishing shortcut RRS feed

• Question

• I've created a package that creats a shortcut to a program which is copied across in the sequence. When I publish it in the virtual enviroment it works fine.

However when It is deployed by SCCM it does not work. I've checked the file paths and found that the shortcut in program files points to "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Integration\A0DFC37F-D900-44B6-8F11-184AD4E4FE14\Root\nameofapp"

When I drill down the software is located in program data

C:\ProgramData\App-V\A0DFC37F-D900-44B6-8F11-184AD4E4FE14\2AAF8923-9143-4836-AD01-79301D822A5E\Root\nameofapp\Bin\nameofapp.exe

Is there a way to change the location in the inital sequence to get this to work. Otherwise I will have to deploy it as an sccm package. The AppV package wound be far more benefical as it would allow us to deploy it to our users rather than devices that do not need the software.  

Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Most likely you deploy it to a user, and not a device. And most likely, you tested it when published globally.

If deployed to a user, it will be published only for that user

If deployed to a device, it will be published globally.

Most likely this is what is causing the different paths and behaviours.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, April 10, 2014 5:01 PM
  • Hi,

Is there anyway to deploy it globally to the user as an appv package. What if, I modified he virtual registry and changed the shortcut path to a different location. 

Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:49 PM
  • The Programdata / AppV location is where the the files _really_ reside.

Depending on the publishing scope (user or global), hard links/junctions are create in either the All Users data directory (programdata / MICROSOFT / Appv) or the user's locaappdata (as you listed it above).

What's the actual issue that you're facing. What does 'does nt work' mean? No shortcut to launch it? Error upon launch? Is there anything n the logs?

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Friday, April 11, 2014 10:40 AM
  • It deploys the shortcut fine. I can run the shortcut however it crashes and an error message displays saying the application has stopped working. However If I drill down into programdata into the virtual package and run the executable it runs fine.

I've noticed the paths from the shortcut that is in the start menu is diffrent to the one that is in the virtual package. 

Friday, April 11, 2014 11:10 AM
  • Hello,

Have you tried to disable the Virtual registry and see if the published shortcut works?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 11:57 AM