Сannot run Windows Server Migration Tools because a required version of .NET Framework is not installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! I'm trying to complete migration from Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2016. My task is to migrate local groups and users in them (local and domain). There is a guide on technet.microsoft.com. On my target server (Windows Server 2016)  I've created Windows Server Migration Tools deployment folder (SmigDeploy.exe /package). Copied this folder to source server (Windows Server 2012 R2) and I need to Register Windows Server Migration Tools on source computers. That's where I've got error:

C:\SMT_ws12_amd64>.\Smigdeploy.exe
    SmigDeploy.exe is checking for prerequisites.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error: You cannot run Windows Server Migration Tools because a required version
    of .NET Framework is not installed on the server. Install .NET Framework 2.0 or
    a newer release of .NET Framework on the migration source server, and install .N
    ET Framework 4.0 or a newer release of .NET Framework on Windows Server 2012 and
     newer releases of the Windows Server operating system, and then run this comman
    d again.

I've installed .NET framework v 3.5 and 4 feature installed features

I've also installed:

• NDP452-KB2901907-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU (.NET Framework 4.5.2)
    • KB2975061-x64
    • KB2919355-x64
    • KB2932046-x64
    • KB2934018-x64
    • KB2937592-x64
    • KB2938439-x64
    • KB2959977-x64
    • NDP462-KB3151800-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU (.NET Framework 4.6.2)

And tried to use Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool with no luck.

• Edited by MONaH-Rasta Friday, January 6, 2017 7:58 AM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 5:38 PM

All replies

• How are you installing?

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 7:36 PM
  • Please, check out the link I gave (Use SmigDeploy.exe to register the Windows Server Migration Tools snap-in on a migration source server that is running an older release of Windows Server than your destination server).

P.S. yes, it's installed.

Installed

M

• Edited by MONaH-Rasta Thursday, January 5, 2017 8:50 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 8:47 PM
  • Might try running;

C:\Windows\System32\ServerMigrationTools>smigdeploy.exe

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 11:07 PM
  • Why try this? How could it help me to achieve my goal?

C:\Windows\System32\ServerMigrationTools>SmigDeploy.exe
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error: To run SmigDeploy.exe without parameters to register Windows Server Migra
    tion Tools, the computer must be running either Windows Server 2012, Windows Ser
    ver 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Server 2003.

Error: The parameters /architecture, /os, and /path must be used with the parame
    ter /package. For more information about the command line syntax, type /help or
    /?, and then press ENTER.

M

• Edited by MONaH-Rasta Friday, January 6, 2017 7:53 AM
    Friday, January 6, 2017 7:50 AM
  • Hi,

According to the below link, the steps in the Windows Server 2012 R2 migration guides are still relevant for Windows Server 2016 in many cases.

Migrating Roles and Features in Windows Server

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/jj554790

Please check if you have met all the requirements:

Install, Use, and Remove Windows Server Migration Tools

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/jj134202.aspx

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 9, 2017 7:07 AM
  • Yes. I've met all the requirements. Probably this is some kind of bug. I made "migration task" by manually exporting and then importing users and groups. Hope Microsoft will solve this issue some day.

P.S. .Net framework installation is ok.

M

• Edited by MONaH-Rasta Monday, January 9, 2017 1:26 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2017 1:17 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing your current progress.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:29 AM
  • Hi,

I got the same problem.

.NET 3.5 and 4.6 is installed in the Windows features.

I can create the deployment directory with the "/os WS16" switch.

But when i run smigdeploy, it says it requieres .NET 4 or higher. The NDP registry key indicate that .NET 4.6.2 is installed.

Any idea is welcome.

Thanks you.

david.

MCSE, MCITP Exchange 2K7 & 2K10

Thursday, November 15, 2018 1:24 PM
  • Finally, the export-smigServerSettings command is available after :

add-pssnaping Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Migration

David.

MCSE, MCITP Exchange 2K7 & 2K10

• Proposed as answer by David Delsouc Thursday, November 15, 2018 1:49 PM
    Thursday, November 15, 2018 1:49 PM
  • I have been fighting with this problem myself.  And here is what I found... The error message is generic and does not specifically mean you are missing the framework.

• This will occur if the either os and arch don't match. 
    • If you don't run the CMD with as Administrator.
    • You don't have .NET 3.5 or 4.5 installed.

Still don't know the answer. I'm trying to go from Win 12 R2 Essential to Win 16 Standard.  The when I try and use the installed tools, I get a version miss-match, between the Send-SmigServerData and Recieve-SmigServerData, so I need to get this installed... 

Interesting thinks to note.  If I run the SmigDeploy.exe on my Windows 10 desktop I get the same error message. I have all the frameworks installed on my server (install and then uninstalled, multiple times). 

It is a bug reflected in the fact that you can not run the SmigDeploy.exe from a local \Windows\System32\ServerMigrationTools\ directory and you get the same error message.

I think bug is in the .NET 2.5 side of the code.  If i copy the SmigDeploy.exe.config into the deployment directory I get the message:

C:\smi\SMT_ws12R2_amd64>.\SmigDeploy.exe
    Error: To run SmigDeploy.exe without parameters to register Windows Server Migration Tools, the computer must be running either Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2008.

Error: The parameters /architecture, /os, and /path must be used with the parameter /package. For more information about the command line syntax, type
     /help or /?, and then press ENTER.

I'm running on Windows 2012 R2 but for some reason it does not think it is a valid version????  How?
    • Edited by djeffrey Sunday, March 24, 2019 3:10 PM Add more info
    Sunday, March 24, 2019 12:01 AM
  • I could be wrong, but appears that SmigDeploy.exe does not properly detect Windows 2012 R2  (it sees it as 2016).

GetPlatform()

platform = (oSVersion.Version >= Constants.WS2016Version ? Platform.WS2016 : Platform.WS2016);

Can anyone make SmigDeploy the Source and do the register work on Win12R2?  

Sunday, March 24, 2019 7:10 PM
  • I am running into this very same issue any time I try to use SmigDeploy on a Server 2012 R2 recently.  Anyone ever get any traction?
    Friday, January 10, 2020 11:09 PM
  • Hello. Windows Sever 2016 Standard, the same problem.

Smigdeploy on source server does not "see" Net.Framework. I installed all components from Net. Framework 3.5 and 4.5 in Server Manager - the problem did not resolved. I installed Net.Framework 4.8 - it did not helped.

Thursday, February 6, 2020 12:47 AM