none
Added slots to VTL, no tapes show in in DPM RRS feed

• Question

• We have a DPM 2012 R2 server attached to a HP StoreOnce VTL for long-term storage. We ran out of free tapes, so I asked for some additional slots/tapes to be added to the VTL.  The new slots show up in DPM, but it doesn't see any tapes in those slots. 

Hitting Add Tape finds no new tapes.  A detailed inventory also does not find them.  I've restarted DPM as well.

Anything special I need to do to get these added?

Thanks

• Edited by nbmcy Thursday, May 29, 2014 4:49 PM
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 2:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Normally a simple rescan followed by a fast inventory is all that should be required for DPM to discover the new slots and read the barcodes on the tapes.

Please download and run the DPMtapeLibraryCompatibilityChecker tool from the following link.

Verifying tape library compatibility
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj733581.aspx

Run the following command to list libraries attached to the system and provides the library name to use in the second command.

DPMLibraryTest.exe /Certify /LL

Then run this to have a fast inventory list all the tapes and see if they are listed..

DPMLibraryTest.exe /DPM /FI \\.\Changer0

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by nbmcy Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:26 PM
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 6:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Normally a simple rescan followed by a fast inventory is all that should be required for DPM to discover the new slots and read the barcodes on the tapes.

Please download and run the DPMtapeLibraryCompatibilityChecker tool from the following link.

Verifying tape library compatibility
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj733581.aspx

Run the following command to list libraries attached to the system and provides the library name to use in the second command.

DPMLibraryTest.exe /Certify /LL

Then run this to have a fast inventory list all the tapes and see if they are listed..

DPMLibraryTest.exe /DPM /FI \\.\Changer0

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by nbmcy Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:26 PM
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 6:42 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

When I ran the second command I received the error message below:

Error Code: 0x8007048a, Error Message: The indicated element does not exist.

The log shows it was able to read the old slots but died on the first new one. 

I finally just rebooted the box and now it's all working fine.  I had DPMLA stopped while the VTL was being edited, but maybe it started back up too soon or I needed to shut down DPM entirely.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:26 PM
  • Hi

Gr8 - glad is was something simple.  8-)

Thursday, May 29, 2014 10:16 PM