Room Resouce Mailbox RRS feed

• Question

• On Exchange 2007, can I create a Room Resource (conference room) and give one person full access and everyone else just read access on the outlook calender?  If so, can you tell me how to do this?

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 8:47 PM

Answers

• OK, I'll concentrate on conference room X and John Smith first.

Objective: meeting requests for Conference Room X are forwarded to John Smith who can approve the requests or not.

Appropriate settings on the Resource Room Mailbox (that's what Conference Room X is):

[PS] C:\>Get-MailboxCalendarSettings "Conference Room X" | fl *auto*,*policy*
    AutomateProcessing    : AutoAccept
    RequestOutOfPolicy    :
    AllRequestOutOfPolicy : False
    BookInPolicy          :
    AllBookInPolicy       : False
    RequestInPolicy       :
    AllRequestInPolicy    : True

If you run the command above (get-mailbox, etc.) you will see the settings on YOUR Conference Room X room resource mailbox. They will probably be a little different.

First, you'll probably have to change AutomateProcessing to "autoaccept" instead of "autoupdate".

Despite the "auto" term, if you configure everything correctly, the requests will indeed go to the delegate (John Smith).

Set-MailboxCalendarSettings "Conference Room X" -AutomateProcessing AutoAccept

Second, we need to change the "AllBookInPolicy" to False

Set-MailboxCalendarSettings "Conference Room X" -AllBookInPolicy:$false

(You don't want "All" (everyone) to be able to book the room automatically).

(And unless you're really curious, we don't need to worry about "in" policy versus "out" of policy).

Third, we need to change "AllRequestInPolicy" to True

Set-MailboxCalendarSettings "Conference Room X" -AllRequestInPolicy:$true

Please note that if you see this setting...

ForwardRequestsToDelegates: True

It should remain as is (true).

Once those settings are configured, have someone attempt to reserve the room. They should have a "tentative" really from the room, pending approval by John Smith.

If you have any questions, just keep asking.

I'll post the configuration for the second scenario (Conference Room A) in a while, after I double-check but pending confirmation, it should be as follows:

RequestOutOfPolicy    :
    BookInPolicy          :
    AllBookInPolicy       : True
    RequestInPolicy       :
    AllRequestInPolicy    : False

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Edited by David M (LePivert) Friday, November 30, 2012 10:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by dvua Friday, December 14, 2012 2:36 PM
    Friday, November 30, 2012 10:15 PM

All replies

• So the person with full access (the delegate?) can govern use of the room based on meeting requests sent by those that have only read access?

Regular users should have read access by default.

Here's how to make someone the delegate (person in charge of the room):

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124973(v=exchg.80).aspx

Clicking on the associated links might further assist you.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 11:19 PM
  • Can this be accomplish via the GUI giving a person Full Access through Manage Full Access Permissions?

Thursday, November 29, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Hi Le Pivert,

I read in the document that a delegate can only be setup through the Power Shell so that answers that.  I am not a Power Shell guy, so I need hand holding.  The Document says to run the following command:

Set-MailBoxCalendarSettings -ResourceDelegates < list of delegates> 

what should the SYNTAX look like if you wanted to setup John Smith as a delegate for Conference RoomX?

Thursday, November 29, 2012 2:47 PM
  • This works for me:

Set-MailBoxCalendarSettings "Conference Room X" -ResourceDelegates "John Smith" 

So you want all requests to use "Conference Room X" to go to John Smith?

And John Smith can grant access to the room if he decides to?

What is your final objective?

Let me know and I'll make sure you can make that happen.

Friday, November 30, 2012 12:48 AM
  • Le Pevert,

Yes, for conference room X and John Smith this is what we need.

For another room resource, Conference room A, I need everyone to be able to book it and enabled for automatic auto accept if available.  This is on Exchange 2007

Friday, November 30, 2012 3:38 PM
  • OK, I'll concentrate on conference room X and John Smith first.

Objective: meeting requests for Conference Room X are forwarded to John Smith who can approve the requests or not.

Appropriate settings on the Resource Room Mailbox (that's what Conference Room X is):

RequestOutOfPolicy    :
    BookInPolicy          :
    AllBookInPolicy       : False
    RequestInPolicy       :
    AllRequestInPolicy    : True

If you run the command above (get-mailbox, etc.) you will see the settings on YOUR Conference Room X room resource mailbox. They will probably be a little different.

First, you'll probably have to change AutomateProcessing to "autoaccept" instead of "autoupdate".

Despite the "auto" term, if you configure everything correctly, the requests will indeed go to the delegate (John Smith).

Set-MailboxCalendarSettings "Conference Room X" -AutomateProcessing AutoAccept

Second, we need to change the "AllBookInPolicy" to False

Set-MailboxCalendarSettings "Conference Room X" -AllBookInPolicy:$false

(You don't want "All" (everyone) to be able to book the room automatically).

(And unless you're really curious, we don't need to worry about "in" policy versus "out" of policy).

Third, we need to change "AllRequestInPolicy" to True

Set-MailboxCalendarSettings "Conference Room X" -AllRequestInPolicy:$true

Please note that if you see this setting...

ForwardRequestsToDelegates: True

It should remain as is (true).

Once those settings are configured, have someone attempt to reserve the room. They should have a "tentative" really from the room, pending approval by John Smith.

If you have any questions, just keep asking.

I'll post the configuration for the second scenario (Conference Room A) in a while, after I double-check but pending confirmation, it should be as follows:

RequestOutOfPolicy    :
    BookInPolicy          :
    RequestInPolicy       :

• Edited by David M (LePivert) Friday, November 30, 2012 10:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by dvua Friday, December 14, 2012 2:36 PM
    Friday, November 30, 2012 10:15 PM
  • dvua:

The last configuration posted should achieve your goal: room request automatically accepted:

RequestOutOfPolicy    :
    BookInPolicy          :
    RequestInPolicy       :

Sunday, December 2, 2012 6:51 PM