none
Project Manager is not able to assign resource from Browser RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

We have a security applied for our Project Managers(PM) that they can only see those resources who are 'Team Members in PM's Projects'. Also, PM can not build team on projects. This right lies with Resource Managers(RM). So after creating the project plan, PM requests to RM and subsequently RM creates the team for that project and informs PM back, then PM assign resources on plan's tasks.

Now the problem my Project Managers are facing is that after team build is complete, PM is not able to assign resources on tasks using Browser as resources are not getting visible in 'Resource Name' column.

Whereas if Project Manager open the same plan in Microsoft Project, though s/he gets an error in MPP i.e. 'You do not have permissions to see the data for all the enterprise resources in this project. These resources include the following: x,y,z. Data for these resources may be out of date and incomplete. Contact your server administrator for read access to these resources, but still Project Managers are easily able to assign resources on tasks and publish the plan.

My worry is that a thing which is possible using Microsoft Project, is not doable from Browser, causes a trouble for Project Managers.

(Note: Once a Resource is visible to Project Managers in Resource Center, by any means, PM can easily assign resources on tasks from browser as well. This problem happens only till first time when though the resource is part of the team but not assigned any task in the project plan).

Do suggest a possible work around by tweaking the security permissions or please suggest if I am wrong somewhere.

Thanks

Manish

Saturday, February 6, 2016 5:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Manish,

I have tried to repro yesterday, and this missing check-box was my only way to achieve this. Has the project been published after build team?

When you select one of your PMs in Server Settings - Manage Users and click on Check Effective Rights. Seletect Resource from drum down and one name of team members of PM's project. What category is named,, for any of "allow"? Is any category referenced for "Assign Resource"?

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Monday, February 8, 2016 7:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Manish,

please check group/category permission. I assume you have a category with "<label accesskey="?" for="idChkResourcesTeam">They are members of a Project Team on a project owned by the User". When editing this category, you see the group "Project Managers" (or any other name) in section "Permissions". If you highlight this group, ensure that </label>"Assign Resource" is selected.

Does that work?
    Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Sunday, February 7, 2016 5:07 PM
  • Hi Barbara

Apologies, I didn't get time to respond earlier, due to various work engagements.

But 'Assign Resource' check-box was already selected. And then also I am experiencing this particular behaviour.

Just to say it again, Project Managers are able to assign resources on tasks using MSP, but not browser.

Thanks

Manish

Monday, February 8, 2016 6:17 AM
  • Hi Manish,

I have tried to repro yesterday, and this missing check-box was my only way to achieve this. Has the project been published after build team?

When you select one of your PMs in Server Settings - Manage Users and click on Check Effective Rights. Seletect Resource from drum down and one name of team members of PM's project. What category is named,, for any of "allow"? Is any category referenced for "Assign Resource"?

Regards
    Barbara

Monday, February 8, 2016 7:01 AM
  • Hi Barbara

Yes, the Resource Manager category is having assign resource permission.

Thanks

Manish

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 3:52 PM
  • Hi Barbara

Thanks for the hint. 'Project Publish' was the key.

Actually in my case, though the Resource Manager has the right to 'build a team' but she/he did not have the right to publish it. And that is why when Project Manager was opening the project s/he was not able to see the resource in Browser (Though the resource was visible in MSP as it is draft version).

Now what I tried is we made Project Manager to publish a project, a check-in and check-out and now BINGO, Project Managers were able to see the resources.

Sometimes, an expert guidance is needed to sail across the ocean!!

Thank you Mam.

Thanks 

Manish

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 4:14 PM