Windows 10 1803 inplace Upgrade persists old User GPO RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

we are currently migrating our Windows 7 Clients to Windows 10 1803. In Windows 7 the Users have several GPOs applied which restric a lot of settings for them. (e.G display C: / access control panel etc).

With the Inplace Upgrade i want to get rid of these Policies in the new OS. But if the User is removed from the Scope during the Upgrade process the old Windows 7 Policy settings persist in the new OS. So the Policy is not applied but i can see the settings in the registry. I already tried it with wmi and security filtering.

The only working way is to remove the Policy and let them logon to Windows 7 again before the Update starts. But this is kind of hard to organize.

Are there any ideas how i could handle this? I already tried to delete the Policy Keys under HKEY Users but actually it is not working and its a kind of "dirty" way.

thanks for a short answer and best regards

Philipp

Thursday, January 17, 2019 12:55 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

this is no option because i am performing the inplace upgrade to persist the installed Programs. Resetting the PC will remove them. 

But i will go with the "dirty" way and remove the Policies from ther Users registry.

thanks for your help and best regards

Philipp

• Marked as answer by Philipp_R Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:29 AM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:29 AM

All replies