Missing pinned programmes and running programmes in the taskbar RRS feed

Answers

• All Pinned links are stored as Shortcuts in the following location

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Only update in the above Directory location will not delete/remove the icons from the Taskbar. You also need to check the following registry location which store the information in a (Multi_SZ) Binary String format.  

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband\FavoritesResolve.

The registry just stores information about the shortcuts.

One may not be able to find the actual cause behind what caused it and it might be possible that the Pinned links have got erased permenantly. There is no way to track it. As these get creatred when the profile is loaded for first time and when the user pins the Applications to the Taskbar. This is a User Specific setting and no other registry or location has this information.

Shailesh Dadure Microsoft
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, January 12, 2011 9:14 AM
    Monday, January 3, 2011 11:20 AM
  • Have you deleted the IsShortCut entry?

Try this instead:

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/vista/vista_registry_remove_shortcut.htm

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Monday, January 3, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Please delete all the icons that are in the User Pinned folder, then logout/back onto Windows so the cache is cleared.  Then try to place a new icon on the taskbar via right-click and "Pin".

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Friday, January 7, 2011 9:39 PM

All replies

• The links are stored here:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Are the links there? If not, pin the programs again to the taskbar.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 2:01 PM
  • All Pinned links are stored as Shortcuts in the following location

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Only update in the above Directory location will not delete/remove the icons from the Taskbar. You also need to check the following registry location which store the information in a (Multi_SZ) Binary String format.  

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband\FavoritesResolve.

The registry just stores information about the shortcuts.

One may not be able to find the actual cause behind what caused it and it might be possible that the Pinned links have got erased permenantly. There is no way to track it. As these get creatred when the profile is loaded for first time and when the user pins the Applications to the Taskbar. This is a User Specific setting and no other registry or location has this information.

Shailesh Dadure Microsoft
    Monday, January 3, 2011 11:20 AM
  • Thanks for your kind reply André ,

I've just took a look in this directory, and I found that the icons that are suppose to be in the task bar are actually there

(click to enlarge)

And I can even add a toolbar containing those icon here, but it doesn't show the icons of other running programmes

(click to enlarge)

I hope these clues can help solving the missing icons mystery.

Thanks again for you kind help

Eric

Monday, January 3, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Thanks very much Shailesh Dadure MSFT for your detailed reply

I've checked the directory which André also mentioned above, and the icons are there

then i check the registry entry, i found the registry entry

some of the content of that entry looks like the path to the icon in the above mentioned directory

but I can't comprehend the other parts of the registry value

does it look normal? or what should i do to the registry?

For your information,

I also tried some solutions found on the internet like restarting the explorer.exe, and removing the icon cache, but no luck.

i have also done some little test on the taskbar:

i can't drag an icon to the taskbar

(click to enlarge)

and i tried to pin the icon to the task from the start menu
    but the context menu looks like that i have already pinned it on the taskbar

(click to enlarge)

does it look like the records about the icons are there, but the middle part of the taskbar (the icons) is missing? (or did i somehow turn it off?)

I hope these test result can help

And thanks again for you help

Eric

Monday, January 3, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Have you deleted the IsShortCut entry?

Try this instead:

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/vista/vista_registry_remove_shortcut.htm

Monday, January 3, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Sorry André,

I don't quite understand....it this a tutorial about the arrow on the shortcuts?

Actually i don't worry much about the shortcuts....

what i worry about is that when i have running programs i should have the icons of the running in the taskbar, but i don't have any icon in the taskbar now even i have programs running...

this is very frustrating because i cannot switch between programs using the mouse, i can only use the Alt+Tab ...

Thanks for your help

Eric

Friday, January 7, 2011 4:21 PM
  • I wanted to show if you removed the IsShortCut entry, you should use the alternative with the "Shell Icons" 29 entry.

Can you create a new user account and move the data to the new account? Do you see the icons there?

Friday, January 7, 2011 9:14 PM
  • Please delete all the icons that are in the User Pinned folder, then logout/back onto Windows so the cache is cleared.  Then try to place a new icon on the taskbar via right-click and "Pin".

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Friday, January 7, 2011 9:39 PM