Is Underscore (_) character a delimiter for search RRS feed

• Question

• I have MOSS 2007 web application having a site collection and that contains 5 sites.
    I have search center site for the searh operation.
    One of my users raised a concern that he is not getting exact search results when he tries some search text that contains underscore character Eg: My_Doc.
    Im doubting the MOSS search engine is considering underscore as a word delimiter. Am I right?
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 4:36 PM

Answers

• underscore character is not a delimiter in sharepoint

If you havent extended the out of the box search for a partial word search, the search queries like "My_Doc" wont bring results contain  "My".  
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 10:41 PM
  • Hi Subeesh,

I think the file with underscore character won’t affect the search result, at least if the file name contains the underscore character. If you have a folder or document called “My_Doc”, it should be displayed on the search result page successfully. Please refer to:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;905231

I understand that your customer entered “My_Doc” in the search box and want to search the document whose content or file name include “My_Doc”. You mentioned that “he is not getting exact search results”, then what search result did he get? You may need to check the crawl log to ensure the wanted document had been crawled successfully. 

Hope this helps.

Lu Zou

• Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Friday, September 11, 2009 7:07 AM
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Subeesh,

I think the file with underscore character won’t affect the search result, at least if the file name contains the underscore character. If you have a folder or document called “My_Doc”, it should be displayed on the search result page successfully. Please refer to:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;905231

I understand that your customer entered “My_Doc” in the search box and want to search the document whose content or file name include “My_Doc”. You mentioned that “he is not getting exact search results”, then what search result did he get? You may need to check the crawl log to ensure the wanted document had been crawled successfully. 

Hope this helps.

Lu Zou

• Marked as answer by Lu Zou-MSFT Friday, September 11, 2009 7:07 AM
    Friday, September 4, 2009 6:38 AM
  • underscore character is not a delimiter in sharepoint

If you havent extended the out of the box search for a partial word search, the search queries like "My_Doc" wont bring results contain  "My".  
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 10:41 PM
  • Hello Subeesh,

You are right, the underscore character is not a delimiter or word breaker in SharePoint.

When you have a file name like "My_Doc" and if you try to search for "My doc" you wont get the "My_Doc" in the search results. Instead you need to type the complete filename as it is with the "_" character.

I know with some custom tools available on Internet we can achieve this functionality. Do you know any other option without installing any custom features? Is there any way we can configure "_" as a word breaker in SharePoint?

Please share your solution (if you have found one to extend the Search functionality.

Appreciate any responses on this query from others as well.

Thanks in Advance.

Ara
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 11:40 AM