none
Blocking access to email RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Our environment is Exchange 2007 SP3 and Outlook 2007 SP2.

We have had a bit of a problem with one user and now HR says that they want to block this person's (Jim) email access. So he should not be able to access Outlook, OWA, ActiveSync iPhone and so on.

But, to make things complicated, his AD account should be left active and since Jim receives important sales emails, there should be no disruption to inbound mail.

Does anyone know how I can achieve this? We have a test account to simulate this before I make the changes in the live environment. I thought about removing Jim's account from having FULL MAILBOX ACCESS to his mailbox, but this doesn't seem to work on the test account.

Any ideas?
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 9:54 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can create transport rule to redirect the specific message to other address. You can refer to the following steps:

Go to EMC->Organization Configuration->Hub Transport->open Transport Rules to the middle tab->click New Transport Rule to the right part->select ‘sent to people’ in step 1 of Conditions->edit the value Jim in step 2->click Next->Select ‘redirect the message to addresses’ in step 1 of Actions->edit the address A in step 2->click Next

Then when users send emails to Jim, the emails will be sent to A and Jim will not receive any email. But in this situation, this account Jim is active.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Sophia Xu
    • Marked as answer by Sophia Xu Tuesday, September 6, 2011 1:19 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

You could disconnect the mailbox from the users account, create a new user and connect the mailbox to this account and then add the original users e-mail address to the new account.

Leif

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can create transport rule to redirect the specific message to other address. You can refer to the following steps:

Go to EMC->Organization Configuration->Hub Transport->open Transport Rules to the middle tab->click New Transport Rule to the right part->select ‘sent to people’ in step 1 of Conditions->edit the value Jim in step 2->click Next->Select ‘redirect the message to addresses’ in step 1 of Actions->edit the address A in step 2->click Next

Then when users send emails to Jim, the emails will be sent to A and Jim will not receive any email. But in this situation, this account Jim is active.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Sophia Xu
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:06 AM
  • Hi,

You could disconnect the mailbox from the users account, create a new user and connect the mailbox to this account and then add the original users e-mail address to the new account.

Leif

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 9:22 AM
  • PaulDaniels,

Try this before doing the other recommended stuff.  Go into the user account properites and click the mailbox features tab.  Disabled the following: outlook web access, exchange activesync, and mapi.  I have not disabled mapi before but from what i am reading this should disable outlook access.

Please let me know if that works.

ski3987
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 1:16 PM
  • Hello,

disabling OWA, ActiveSync and MAPI in the mailbox features tab will help you.

But make sure someone else has access to his incoming emails. You can do this by giving full access to another mailbox or - if this doesn't work - by a transport rule as Sophia described above.

Greetings,

Toni

Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:56 PM