Event Id: 20, Error Code: 0x80070102 RRS feed

• Question

• Our end user was trying to RDP to connect to a Windows 7 Professional virtual machine.  The event log shows the "logon" event.  Then there is an error (event id: 20) with an error code of 0x80070102.  The message reads "Attempt to send connect message to Windows video subsystem failed. The relevant status code was 0x80070102.".  The next event is an event id 4634, "An account was logged off". We were unable to connect to the system and log them off.

We ended up having to restart the virtual machine in order to be able to log this user out and allow them to reconnect.

Can anyone from Microsoft please shed a light on what is causing this problem?

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According your Event ID 20, I suggest you check the remote desktop service:

1. On the computer, open the Services snap-in. To open the Services snap-in, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Services.

2. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Yes.

3. In the Services pane, locate Remote Desktop Services.

4. Confirm that the Status column for the Remote Desktop Services service displays Started.

More information, you can refer to Event ID 20 — Remote Desktop Services Availability

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 24, 2012 9:20 AM
  • Thank you for your reply to my inquiry.  The Remote Desktop Service is started.  Do you have any insight as to what would cause the video subsystem to fail and the system to return the 0x80070102 error?  I think that this error is a wait timeout error.

Friday, August 24, 2012 12:32 PM
  • Hi,

You can test the issue in Clean Boot to check whether this issue is related to third party tool.

Also, temporarily disable the firewall and the anti-virus program for a test.

Regards,

Vincent Wang

Monday, August 27, 2012 6:42 AM
  • There are no third party tools installed on this VM.  The firewall and anti-virus program are also disabled.  Do you happen to know what would cause the video subsystem to fail and the system to return the 0x80070102 error?

Monday, August 27, 2012 12:22 PM
  • Hi,

Base on my knowledge, the error code 0x80070102 means the wait operation timed out. You can also check the network settings.

Regards,

Vincent Wang

Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:32 AM
  • I suspected that it was a timeout error.  What I am really interested in is what would cause this to happen when sending a connect message to the video subsystem on a virtual machine running Windows 7.
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:34 AM