none
Azure AD as a PDC RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small office, approximately 150 users.  We currently don't have a domain controller or directory services.  We are interested in Azure AD if it can be the PDC is the cloud we hope it can be.  Is it possible to use Azure AD as a PDC in the cloud with nothing on premises?   We want to utilize Users, groups, dns and group policy.  I want to join the workstations to the domain and log on to their machines authenticating by Azure.  I don't want them to have to RDP in anywhere to access anything.  I don't want to put a DC on premises.  I can't really find a straight forward answer anywhere so I'm hoping someone here can provide that.  Thank you.
    • Edited by Small IT Tuesday, November 25, 2014 10:50 PM addendum
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 10:47 PM

All replies

• Just to clarify, Azure AD is separate from your own implementation of active directory.

However, from what you have stated, you can stand up your own Active Directory domain running in an Azure Virtual Machine that could then be used to sync any relevant user accounts into Azure AD.

You would also need to create a connection from the Azure virtual machines network to your on-premise network so that clients could connect to the domain and relevant services.

There is a little bit of work in getting to this point and understanding the limitations and implications of running IaaS VMs. Once setup though, things do run smoothly.

Regards,

Adrian

Friday, December 19, 2014 9:12 AM