none
Bitlock

Question

• Bitlocker locked some files on my usb drive. The whole drive is not locked just some files. The files were only able to be viewed on the PC in which the lock was installed, however, the PC crashed and has a new identifier. 

Now I cannot access the files, each one is locked yet there is not bitlocker on the usb drive just each file. There is no "security" tab in details or properties. Been trying to figure this out for a month now. 

Tuesday, March 06, 2018 11:53 PM

All replies

• Are you sure that this is Bitlocker and not EFS? It seems like it is EFS and, if such, the files cannot be recovered if you have lost the encryption certificate and you do not have a recovery agent.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Wednesday, March 07, 2018 12:34 PM
  • Bitlocker is going to encrypt a drive , rather than specific files on the drive.

If it is an efs file, you will have to back up the certificate when you encrypt them. To decrypt them, you need to import the certificate under the user profile.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 08, 2018 6:50 AM