none
% Complete of ongoing tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

Sorry to ask this as I guess it will upset all purists out there as despite years of use I still don't follow the 'proper' way of doing things!

I have a big project with many ongoing tasks - no resources - all tasks are fixed duration. I update progress every two weeks but I need the progress info from a number of other team leaders, each of them reluctant to give it to me (of course). I prepare an excel sheet copied from MSP and ask them to update % Work Complete up to the current status date. I know I shouldn't really do it, but it's easier for them to judge where they are if they have an indication of where each task should be at the time of the update. So, is there any way I can get a field showing Planned % Complete at the status date ?

Those of you with sharp eyes will notice I'm assuming % Work Complete and % Complete are more or less analogous - I know this is not necessarily the case, but it's close enough for my purposes.

All help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Swansea Jack

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 12:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Swansea,

There is no such a field in Project Pro 2010, meaning a field that will give you the expected % based on the status date. In order to do that, you have in my opinion 2 ways: 

• use the "mark on track" button in the task ribbon, then write a simple macro to copy % complete to a number custom field (then probably undo your "mark on track" operation)

• create a custom field using a formula calculation the expected % complete, based on the status date.

Note that you could calculate the expected % complete based on the start date or on the baseline start date.

Here is an example you could start from based on the baseline dates:

• Hours within Duration : (Number 10) = [Baseline Duration]*8 
    • Rollup: sum 

• Expected hours to status date : (Number 11) = IIf([Status Date]<[Baseline Start],0,IIf([Status Date]>[Baseline Finish],[Baseline Duration] *8,Abs(ProjDateDiff([Baseline Start],[Status Date],"Standard"))*8)) 
    • Roll up: sum 

• Exp % Coml (Text 20) = IIf([Status Date]=ProjDateValue('NA'),"No Status Date",IIf([Baseline Start]=ProjDateValue('NA'),"No BL", FORMAT([Number11]/[Number10],"0%"))) 
    • Roll up: use formula 

Finally the % work complete is a field that is meant to be updated manually in case it is different from the % complete (for a wall construction for example). Then in the advanced options menu, you can choose which of the 2 % will be used for earned value.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Swansea,

There is no such a field in Project Pro 2010, meaning a field that will give you the expected % based on the status date. In order to do that, you have in my opinion 2 ways: 

• use the "mark on track" button in the task ribbon, then write a simple macro to copy % complete to a number custom field (then probably undo your "mark on track" operation)

• create a custom field using a formula calculation the expected % complete, based on the status date.

Note that you could calculate the expected % complete based on the start date or on the baseline start date.

Here is an example you could start from based on the baseline dates:

• Hours within Duration : (Number 10) = [Baseline Duration]*8 
    • Rollup: sum 

• Expected hours to status date : (Number 11) = IIf([Status Date]<[Baseline Start],0,IIf([Status Date]>[Baseline Finish],[Baseline Duration] *8,Abs(ProjDateDiff([Baseline Start],[Status Date],"Standard"))*8)) 
    • Roll up: sum 

• Exp % Coml (Text 20) = IIf([Status Date]=ProjDateValue('NA'),"No Status Date",IIf([Baseline Start]=ProjDateValue('NA'),"No BL", FORMAT([Number11]/[Number10],"0%"))) 
    • Roll up: use formula 

Finally the % work complete is a field that is meant to be updated manually in case it is different from the % complete (for a wall construction for example). Then in the advanced options menu, you can choose which of the 2 % will be used for earned value.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:12 PM
  • Hi Guillaume

Thanks for your reply - I shall give it a go and let you know

Regards

Swansea Jack

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 3:56 PM
  • You're more than welcome!

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 4:02 PM