Laptop keeps on rebooting after windows update configuration failure due to low disk space. RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all, 

My laptop keeps on restarting it self due to it cannot configure the windows update. I had tried all the solutions online including boot into safe mode, however none of this works as it keeps on going back to the windows configuration screen. I had no windows installation disc, i tried system repair and system restore, both also not working. 

I know where my problems is, it is that I had turn on the quota management system in my c drive. Thus, it had limited my disk space. I suspect that the configuration failure is due to not enough disk space. 

I am here to ask, anywhere i can start my windows without the update configuration step, or how did i turn off my quota management system without getting into the windows. I tried safe mode, it  still goes to the windows configuration screen and reboots again. 

Please help, thanks. 

Sunday, August 3, 2014 2:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If the problem is indeed because of hard disk space (low)
    you can BOOT from DART  or from other external boot device, and then remove irrelevant information ,  usually you can delete the TEMP files, and either irrelevant information If you want to disable the hard disk quota it can be done by using the command line: fsutil quota
    Details about using the command line above:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755913 (v = ws.10). Aspx

Thanks,

Israel Chemo

• Marked as answer by yzhenhao Thursday, August 7, 2014 4:33 AM
    Monday, August 4, 2014 6:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As first thing, thry following:

1. Start into safe mode, correct the issues and reboot- check if that helps

2. Try Last known good configuration

Follow the link below to learn how to start your machine in these modes:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/start-computer-safe-mode

I LOVE MS..... Thanks and Regards, Kshitiz (Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.)

Sunday, August 3, 2014 2:26 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, i tried safe mode, but it only gets into the configuring updates screen and fail then reboot again, i cant even get into the windows. I also did tried the last known good configuration. 

Sunday, August 3, 2014 2:42 PM
  • Hi,

If the problem is indeed because of hard disk space (low)
    you can BOOT from DART  or from other external boot device, and then remove irrelevant information ,  usually you can delete the TEMP files, and either irrelevant information If you want to disable the hard disk quota it can be done by using the command line: fsutil quota
    Details about using the command line above:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755913 (v = ws.10). Aspx

Thanks,

Israel Chemo

• Marked as answer by yzhenhao Thursday, August 7, 2014 4:33 AM
    Monday, August 4, 2014 6:35 AM
  • Thanks, 

This looks like a feasible solution, searching through online now to see what is dart and how do i do it. 

Anyway, thanks a lot :)

Monday, August 4, 2014 7:21 AM
  • Hi,

You can access Advanced Boot Options by turning on your computer and pressing the F8 key before Windows starts.

Then choose system restore to go back to a previous status if you have a restore point.

Advanced startup options (including safe mode)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode#1TC=windows-7

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 4:29 AM
  • Hi,

DART  is "Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset" helps you troubleshoot and repair Windows-based desktops.

This includes those desktops that cannot be started. DaRT is a powerful set of tools that extend the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). By using DaRT, you can analyze an issue to determine its cause, for example, by inspecting the computer’s event log or system registry.

you can see the dart at this link: DART

In addition, of course, you can also move the hard disk to another machine (and boot from the another machine  operating system), and then you can  delete irrelevant information, and after that turn the hard disk to  original  machine.

Thanks,

Israel Chemo.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 6:11 AM