Storage group EDB database size RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

My exchange version is 2007 , it seems have problem that haven't auto reduce the edb size. Why I find this problem that I have archive some mail to local howerver I find the database size haven't reduce. I use the powershell script to show all the mail box size and that is less than 20GB compare with current database size. 

Thanks,

Ricky

Monday, May 28, 2012 8:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    Exchange will never reduce the database size, only reclaim the free space and use it if needed.
    The only way do shrink the database is to run an Offline Defrag, but it's better to create a new database and move all mailboxes over and drop the first one.

If you look at eventid 1221 in the application log, you will see how much free space you have in the database.

Martina Miskovic

• Proposed as answer by steve siyavaya Monday, May 28, 2012 8:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Friday, June 8, 2012 6:28 AM
    Monday, May 28, 2012 8:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Exchange will never reduce the database size, only reclaim the free space and use it if needed.
    The only way do shrink the database is to run an Offline Defrag, but it's better to create a new database and move all mailboxes over and drop the first one.

If you look at eventid 1221 in the application log, you will see how much free space you have in the database.

Martina Miskovic

• Proposed as answer by steve siyavaya Monday, May 28, 2012 8:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Terence Yu Friday, June 8, 2012 6:28 AM
    Monday, May 28, 2012 8:23 AM
  • Dear,

Is it mean the databse will only group not auto reduce, It seems will mounte and dismounte more time when start the inforamtion store service.

Thanks,

Ricky  

Monday, May 28, 2012 9:15 AM
  • As I wrote before, the database size will never automatically shrink.

Martina Miskovic

• Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:42 AM
    Monday, May 28, 2012 9:22 AM
  • Hi 
       If you want to avoid offline, you can create new database and move mailbox to new database.
       Then you can remove origin database. 
       I know it is not good way.

Terence Yu

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:44 AM