Calculate and show Planned vs Actual Work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created a Project plan. assigned task to team member. Actual assigned task hours are 8.  but resource has completed task in 14 hours.

pls guide how do i manage this scenario. how team member can update task which is 100% completed but actual work hours are more than assigned hours.  Which columns should i add in project plan. 

Thx

iffi

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 7:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First question is: how the actual is entered? Is it done by the team member himslef through the task update or timesheet process?

If you do it yourself:

• You first plan the task to be 8 hours. So create the task let's say with a 1 day duration (8 hours) and assign the resource. By default, it'll be assigned at 100% units, meaning that that the work column will show 8hrs of work.
    • Save a baseline to record that the task was initially planned for 8hrs (baseline work now = 8hrs).
    • Then the resource actually completes the task in 14hrs. Don't enter 100% completion because Project will understand that the resource has completed the task as planned, so actual work would be equal to work equal to 8 and not 14hrs. So enter 14hrs in the actual work column. Since it is greater than 8hrs, MS Project will understand that the task is completed with 14hrs. So you're done!
    • You could also update the work to 14hrs and mark the task as completed. Same result.
    • In case you would have some remaining work after the 14hrs (task not yet completed), you can use the remaining work column to add some remaining work.
    • So work = 14hrs, actual work = 14hrs, remaining work = 0hrs (completed), baseline work = 8hrs.

Note that you can also split your screen (view tab, details check box) using the task form, work information in order to find and enter the same information.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 7:58 AM
  • Hi,

i have created project, assigned task, set base line and publish. Now two problem

1- team member is able to change/update "Work" column. 

2- "Actual work" column is disable, not allowing team member to update actual work.

pls guide.

thx

iffi

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 10:14 AM
  • First of all, where does the user go to fill his progress? In this task page or timesheet page? I guess you're refering to the task page due to your questions.

In this task page, indeed the work can be updated by the team member. But in the "my assignments" view definition (manage views in PWA server settings), you can set that the "work" column is real-only.

Then the actual column is read-only because the user is supposed to enter timephased actual work in the grid in the right part of the screen. Once done (actual day by day), the actual column on the left will display the total actual work.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 10:25 AM
  • Hi,

Under  PWA Setting --> Task Setting & Display -- > Tracking Method - i have set free form. Thank i am able to update actual work column.

thx

iffi

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 11:57 AM
  • Sure you are. If it is what you need, good to hear.

But still if you need the actual work timephased by day, you need to use the grid on the right side to enter actual work.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 12:46 PM