Converting MOM to SCOM MP RRS feed

• Question

• I converted the .akm to .xml using MP2XML.exe tool from MOM.

Now when i try running MPCONVERT.exe it says below

C:\Users\sanak.pratap>MPConvert ActiveDirectory.MP.2005.xml ActiveDirectory.MP.2
    005.xml
    Cannot open input file.

Please help in how to proceed further

Regards, Pratap
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 12:36 PM

Answers

• In MOM 2005, you can export rule groups and then weed out the ones that are not what you consider custom.

Another approach is to go over the list of monitors and rules in the Active Directory SCOM management pack (visit mpwiki) and then work with your SME's and determine what new montors you want to add as custom monitors.  This is, in my experience, the far more rapid and accurate path. 

Taking old rules that it is likely that nobody remembers when/why they were added, and then deciding to move them forward often results in a noisy experience.  "We don't know why it's there, so we better keep it" is a very common approach that I've seen when the inventory and migrate approach to upgrading a management system from MOM to SCOM R2 is attempted.

The most successful overhauls that I have seen have started from scratch on the core infra mps (SQL, AD, DNS, DHCP, IIS, etc) and get the teams experience with tuning and managing the new infrastructure.  The next level would then be to create the packs for any custom-in-house apps. 

Do whatever you can to avoid the mess that wll happen if you attempt to use the old (and unworkable) converter tool.  There is no supported path for converted content.

Microsoft Corporation
    • Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, July 22, 2011 7:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, July 25, 2011 3:46 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:41 PM

All replies

• Hi

Quick question - why are you converting an AD Management Pack when SCOM has one already.?

Be aware that converting management packs wasn't a good idea and MSFT don't recommend it anymore. You need to bite the bullet and recreate the management pack from scratch for SCOM 2007 R2.

This is a previous thread on this subject:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/operationsmanagergeneral/thread/d8951ad5-c0f0-40e1-a27f-4601220a55ea

Note Dan Rogers response as well (MSFT).

Cheers

Graham

New SCOM 2012 Blog! - http://www.systemcentersolutions.com/blog/
    View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    • Proposed as answer by Blake Mengotto Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:07 PM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 12:43 PM
  • Thanks for your advice.

My intention is how to get the custom rules configured.

Is there any easy way to find the customized rule so that i can take the inventory.

Regards, Pratap
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 1:15 PM
  • In MOM 2005, you can export rule groups and then weed out the ones that are not what you consider custom.

Another approach is to go over the list of monitors and rules in the Active Directory SCOM management pack (visit mpwiki) and then work with your SME's and determine what new montors you want to add as custom monitors.  This is, in my experience, the far more rapid and accurate path. 

Taking old rules that it is likely that nobody remembers when/why they were added, and then deciding to move them forward often results in a noisy experience.  "We don't know why it's there, so we better keep it" is a very common approach that I've seen when the inventory and migrate approach to upgrading a management system from MOM to SCOM R2 is attempted.

The most successful overhauls that I have seen have started from scratch on the core infra mps (SQL, AD, DNS, DHCP, IIS, etc) and get the teams experience with tuning and managing the new infrastructure.  The next level would then be to create the packs for any custom-in-house apps. 

Do whatever you can to avoid the mess that wll happen if you attempt to use the old (and unworkable) converter tool.  There is no supported path for converted content.

Microsoft Corporation
    • Proposed as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, July 22, 2011 7:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Monday, July 25, 2011 3:46 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:41 PM