PXE boot confusion 2007/2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Ok we have a 2007 primary server and a bunch of secondary servers.  Everything works, pxe included.  We install 2012 in the primary site (10.13/16) subnet and install the WDS role etc, no boundary overlap.  SO I want to test PXE from new server, we are not going to be imaging anything from old server in the foreseeable future so I uncheck the PXE role on 2007 so it does not respond to PXE requests.  Boot a local client and all is well, boots fine, gets image.

Remove all the 2007 secondary site roles from remote servers, wait a day, rebooted etc.  All directories including Remote Install are gone.  Make the server a DP for 2012, enable PXE and wait again for everything to settle.  Now, when I pxe boot a client in that site (10.15/16) I get a E53 no boot filename found error.  So basically I had working PXE boot scenario with primary and secondary servers, I changed nothing on the routers or DHCP servers (we did not have options 60, 66 or 67 defined) and now it will not pxe boot in a remote site.

What did I miss or what do I have to check?

Friday, August 31, 2012 2:54 AM

Answers

• OK feeling a little "unintelligent" about now.  Been dealing with this product since SMS and got mixed up a little in the whole "unknown computer" thing.  For some reason I was thinking that these are discovered computers (coming over from 2007) so the fact that to 2012 they were unknown computers never occurred to me.  Anyway, as soon as I installed a client on the computer and waited it booted fine and installed the image.  I never had to deployed to Unknown just to the test collection that I was using.

Oh well, live and learn over and over.

• Marked as answer by Bob86 Sunday, September 2, 2012 2:54 AM
    Sunday, September 2, 2012 2:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you distribute the boot images to the new DP/PXE server? have you selected the checkbox "Deploy this boot image to PXE Service Points" on the boot image properties?
    I would probably uninstall/reinstall the WDS service on the server when reinstalling it as a ConfigMgr2012 DP.

any errors in the SMSPXE.log file on the server?

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Friday, August 31, 2012 4:47 AM
  • OK feeling a little "unintelligent" about now.  Been dealing with this product since SMS and got mixed up a little in the whole "unknown computer" thing.  For some reason I was thinking that these are discovered computers (coming over from 2007) so the fact that to 2012 they were unknown computers never occurred to me.  Anyway, as soon as I installed a client on the computer and waited it booted fine and installed the image.  I never had to deployed to Unknown just to the test collection that I was using.

Oh well, live and learn over and over.

• Marked as answer by Bob86 Sunday, September 2, 2012 2:54 AM
    Sunday, September 2, 2012 2:54 AM