none
Where can I get online Windows updates from?

Question

• This is a two prong question, firstly where do I get Online Windows Updates from, and secondly in Group Policy what setting do I enable and Configure in which it will fetch updates from the Internet.

Thanks in advance 

Zak

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 3:42 PM

All replies

• Very long answer, You need to setup a server with WSUS, if you don't want to use microsoft, if you want to use microsoft there is no place to setup a server to reterive updates from.

By default it will fetch from internet. So if you look at your domain controller under group policies you may aleady have a WSUS server, and policy if srever is gone or not working your clients may have a group policy that looks for it. this group policy would need to be changed to go back to internet.

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 3:53 PM
  • I am new to WSUS so how would I go about? We have WSUS on one of servers, and Group Policy on seperate server. So I'd need to configure WSUS to download updates, and then tell Group Policy what server to get Windows Updates from?
    Wednesday, December 07, 2016 4:41 PM
  • Correct for Both. I didn't go into specifics because when you find a good article for setting up and configuring WSUS it will also configure the group policy for you.

here is a link to the group policy, you may already have this setup.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708574%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Wednesday, December 07, 2016 4:44 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 12, 2016 8:12 AM