none
Problem with MDT user Authentication RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have just set up a new MDT server that uses WDS to PXE.

PXE is working fine now and once i get to the MDT deployment screen it shows a message for user details.

server name = P01-WDS1

Domain= not joined currently as workgroup

deployment share = \\P01-WDS1\Deploymentshare$

my rules are:

[Settings]

Priority=Default

Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]

OSInstall=Y

SkipDomainMembership=Yes

UserID=Administrator

UserPassword=Passw0rd1

UserDomain=P01-WDS1

SkipCapture=Yes

SkipAdminPassword=Yes

SkipProductKey=Yes

i have recreated the boot images from scratch and updated them in WDS, but when the authentication fails it shows as it is tgrying to connect to a share else where. i had renamed the server after installing WDS and MDT (Stupid I know :) ).

so now when i press cancel on MDT authentication it says error connecting to (\\WIN-3G0GKJP91J9\Deply$).

so any idea to what the issue is and how i can work around the problem?

my task sequnce is really simple at the moment as i am just trying to get the whole thing up and running.

Thank you

Monday, October 30, 2017 4:20 PM

Answers

• Try completely regenerating your boot image. If it still tries to connect to a different share, try using IP address instead. You can also remove duplicate entries from CustomSettings.ini, as they are totally redundant.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Marked as answer by Gaffa-R Wednesday, November 8, 2017 10:09 AM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 6:18 PM

All replies

• You need to put the connection information into the Bootstrap.ini, then recreate your boot image. CustomSettings.ini will only be evaluated once the initial connection to the deployment share is established. If FQDN does not work for you, you could try using IP address instead.

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Monday, October 30, 2017 4:46 PM
  • Hi,

my bootstrap is as below;

[settings]

Priority=Default

[Default]

DeployRoot=\\P01-WDS1\Deploymentshare$\Deploymentshare

SkipDomainMembership=Yes

UserID=Administrator

UserPassword=Passw0rd1

UserDomain=P01-WDS1.

the error message i get is that invalid credentials, the network path cannot be found.

if F8 and net use to \\P01-WDS1\Deploymentshare$

i can log in with my administrator id and password

Monday, October 30, 2017 4:52 PM
  • Is there a reason why your network path is specified as \\P01-WDS1\Deploymentshare$\Deploymentshare?

Based on your explanation above all you need is \\P01-WDS1\Deploymentshare$

Cheers,
    Anton

Monday, October 30, 2017 5:02 PM
  • Oh i just treid that as in she $ folder there waa another folder called deployment share.

I had tried it without this too but was having exactly the same issue.

When i press cancel on the user it authentication im not sure why it shows it trying to connect to a different share.

Monday, October 30, 2017 6:16 PM
  • Try completely regenerating your boot image. If it still tries to connect to a different share, try using IP address instead. You can also remove duplicate entries from CustomSettings.ini, as they are totally redundant.

Cheers,
    Anton

• Marked as answer by Gaffa-R Wednesday, November 8, 2017 10:09 AM
    Monday, October 30, 2017 6:18 PM